Favors

Donation for Wedding Favors

My fiance and I just made a donation to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in lieu of a traditional wedding favor. I am so thankful that I am to be able to make such a donation to a great cause. My sister Allison passed away at the age of 2 years old  after battling with lukemia. I was not born yet but in my heart she will always be my big sister. This donation is in honor of her. I recommend that any bride that is thinking about spending $200+ on wedding favors that their guests will most likely throw away to really consider making a donation to a great cause; whether it's St. Jude's or another cause special to them! St Jude's also is making 190 bookmarks to be placed at each guest's seat which will have our names, wedding date and a short paragraph explaining why we made a donation.

Re: Donation for Wedding Favors

• St. Jude is my charity of choice.  I would however advise making your donation quietly.  There is no reason on earth to broadcast that you took the money budgeted for tiny gifts to your guests and gave it to someone else.  Nobody will miss the favors but announcing your donation is a total AW "look at what great people we are" move.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. Making a donation to a cause that is very close to my family and I is nothing to be quiet about. If we can share with people what we did and why we did it than why not? Making a donation isn't a "show off" move.

• Agreed.  We are considering doing a donation in place of favors as well.  We will likely be donating to K9's for Warrior.  They use service dogs to assist veterans that come back to the US with PTSD and other brain injuries.  

I think many guests, especially the older generations expect a favor of some kind.  The bookmark is a great way to say, hey, we are greatful for you to be here with us and have chosen not to give favors because we believe the money will be put to better use at XYZ foundation/organization.  
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I'm smart enough to know better that when you give your money to somebody else, it's not really a favor to me.

I'm part of the older generation, and I don't need or want a favor.  I think you should take whatever you have budgeted for favors, and donate that money to the charity of your choice.  Quietly and privately.  But please don't try to tell me that it's my "favor" when clearly it's not.
  • wow...I guess I should just keep comments to myself then. It's unbelievable how rude people can be. I made a donation in honor of my sister who passed away and it is my way of honoring her on my special day. I don't see what the big deal is about telling our family and friends we made a donation instead of buying a favor for them. I know my family will appreciate it.
  • I'm having some candy and favors for families of dog owners to take home if they choose to (we are HUGE dog people).... But I'm making a donation to Make a Wish and Give Kids the World in lieu of favors and printed out pictures of a trip my family was able to take in December through them for my sister for our wedding. I'm extremely excited and honored to share something so special and close to my heart and get more people up to speed with what the foundation is about. I'm happy to use the opportunity of my wedding to pay it forward since those foundations were so good to us. I like the donation route if you're able to tie it in personally to the bride and groom. Good luck!
  • People on these boards are super rude so just ignore it! I'm doin a donation too through truffles for a cause, so the guests will get truffles and a card saying a donation was made. One thing about letting people know about the donation is to bring awareness to the charity, not to show off. People are idiots
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards