Favors

Donations

I know some people are hit and miss with this but we would really love to do it. We planon having a sign near the card box/on the guestbook table.

We want to donate a few dollars to our local humane society becasue we both have strong ties to the organization and to our pets.

How would you word it without it sounding snotty?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Donations

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_donations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:eebc53eb-774f-4c8d-a1cd-e55cd83389efPost:9c77e840-5a99-4a1f-b407-40d617551ada">Donations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know some people are hit and miss with this but we would really love to do it. We planon having a sign near the card box/on the guestbook table. We want to donate a few dollars to our local humane society becasue we both have strong ties to the organization and to our pets. How would you word it without it sounding snotty?
    Posted by alyssaames[/QUOTE]

<div>Don't do this.  Asking people for money at a wedding, whether for you or a charity, is just tacky.  This is a wedding, not a fundraiser.   Most people have already spent alot of money on you, don't try and suck more from them.</div>
  • Are you thinking of doing a donation to the Humane Society in lieu of favors (that's the way I read it the first time)?  If so, that's great, but there's no need to have a sign; just do it.  Favors are optional and it's a donation from you and your FI, not from your guests, so there's no need to involve them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_donations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:eebc53eb-774f-4c8d-a1cd-e55cd83389efPost:079d9e18-f03a-440e-8ace-b4abbf536d00">Re: Donations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you thinking of doing a donation to the Humane Society in lieu of favors (that's the way I read it the first time)?  If so, that's great, but there's no need to have a sign; just do it.  Favors are optional and it's a donation from you and your FI, not from your guests, so there's no need to involve them.
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

This.
    Just to clarify/expand a bit...this means taking the $75 (or whatever) you WOULD have spent on favors and giving it to your favorite charity instead. Privately.
    Therefore, do not put a sign up at your reception or at each guest's placesetting saying "We've donated to the Humane Society in your name in lieu of favors!"
  • You don't.  Like all charitable giving, it should be done privately.  I really judge hard any B&G who announce that they donated to a charity.  It is nothing more than an AW move to say "Look how great we are."
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I thought about it at first. The best advice is to read the Sticky at the top of the Favors discussion board and draw your own conclusions from that.... It was very helpful when I was deciding about donation favors. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards