Favors

DIY Mini Pies - Am I crazy?

Backstory: My mother passed away last year just after my engagement. She was an avid baker and was well known in our community for sharing her pies with friends, neighbours and our church. Even in her eulogy they remembered her for volunteering with kids and baking with them and teaching them that the special ingredient in baking is Love.

I want to bake personal sized pies (ok tarts) for each of the guests with a little cookie cutter heart on top using my mom's pie crust recipe and cherry pie filling from a can (to keep it simple) since our colours are Red, White & Black. 

I want to find some favour boxes online to package them in with cellophane windows that show off the pie and include a label referencing that the pies are homemade with the special ingredient of Love.

Everyone I've mentioned this to thinks I'm crazy to volunteer to bake 150 personal pies and package them right before the wedding day. (I want them to be fresh!)  It will take approx. 30min bake time per 20 pies.

So here's the survey... Am I crazy?

Re: DIY Mini Pies - Am I crazy?

• edited December 2011
    It is a very sweet gesture, but maybe there is a less labor-intensive, marble-saving way to honor your mom. 

If you honestly think you'll have time... do it. 

I would do a trial run of at least 50 pies and see how long it takes you.  (That is a ton of crusts to roll). 

Next make a schedule of what is happening the 3 days before your wedding.  Will you be visiting with out of town guests?  Do you want to get your nails done?  RD? Now do you still have time to make all of those pies?  What if you burn a batch? 

And possibly most importantly - can you handle that much added stress the day before your weddiing? 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it's a sweet idea but i suggest you don't do this. it sounds like a ton of work. i had a friend that wanted to make cut out cookies and decorate each one but did a test run and gave up because it was so much more work then she thought it would be. she also had 150 guests. is there any other way you can honour your mom? can you have a dessert buffet and bake like a few regular sized pies using her recipe? or as a favor can you share her recipe on a nicely printed card?
  • cad2985cad2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would these containers work for your pies?

There's a seller on Etsy selling crystal clear cupcake favor containers.

seller is: cupcakegatherings

Good luck!

• graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that it sounds like a good idea as long as you have the time for it. People may think that I'm crazy for DIYing all of our flowers the night before, but I scheduled them in and know what I'm doing. If you know what you are doing and have a way to expidite the process, then go for it.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the others that have posted here!
    It sounds like a great idea, might be a little much, but if you think you can do it, then do it. Also, I definitely agree about doing a trial run. If you can schedule everything in a couple days before your wedding, then I don't see why it'd be a problem. If you think it'll be too stressful, then I would search for another way to honor your mom!

Good luck!

Kristen
  • edited December 2011
    It is a super sweet idea and a great way to honor your mom. If you think you can do it, go for it! I think I have seen the containers you may have been talking about at www.papermart.com. But if this is going to stress you out I think it would be great if you baked a few pies for dessert and gave everyone the recipie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • TopazAngelTopazAngel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's an awesome idea BUT get help. Have a pie-baking party with any and all people you can ask/beg/cajole/bribe to help you. Otherwise--you may end up exhausted and bleary-eyed on your wedding day!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a very cute idea and would suggest doing a trial-run soon so you can see how long it takes to make - the day before your wedding is a very stressful time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JA2003JA2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the gesture behind this, is there another pie-related object you may be able to use as the favor? Maybe a keychain or something of that sort? Maybe to incorporate the pie-story, instead of a huge cake to serve, maybe just have a cake that you two can cut and one to save, and actually bake the pies for the amount of tables you have?
    "We should get jersey's, 'cuz we make a good team." Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • lynxbbgirllynxbbgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you might be able to pull it off if you have several people who are willing to help you with it! I would try a test run as well though to see if it is do-able. When my sil and brother got married a year and a half ago, she wanted to make cookies for 150 guest 3 days out with icing (it was a December Wedding), she gave up very quickly on the idea!

Try it and see what you think, what does your FI think?
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Well ladies - despite my crazy idea I'm still in love with it.

I've picked up the necessary ingredients and I'm going to try a trial run tomorrow with a small batch to get an estimate on the time requirements for 150 pies!

Wish me luck!
    Janice
  • edited December 2011
    Well I bought the window boxes including a little stand in the middle that will centre them in the middle so they don't get all banged up.  Found them in bulk at http://www.brpboxshop.com/ and with international shipping charges (boo) they're $1 a box.

I've downgraded the "PIE" size into Tart sized and can fit 24 in the oven at once.
    It will take me a total of 4 hours to bake everything... and with the boxes pre-assembled (by bribed and cajoled wedding party and family members and one very dedicated and supportive FI...) I will be able to package and bake them concurrently!

One afternoon (heck a whole day!) is totally worth this idea and I will be packaging them up a day or two before the wedding.  Couldn't give up on the idea!  Adding stickers to the box instead of finicky things like ribbons.  :D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards