Flowers

Rejected by Florist

I thought we were in recession?  My wedding flower budget is $1500 (assuming half tables will just use candles provided by venue); my taste is roses (not that crazy) and small/simple.  Plus, with my budget, the Knot says I can afford $1120 in flowers but I upped to $1500 since I am not doing Limo. 

I was visiting florist last night who does out of home as a referral from sister who know of her but not well.  I gave her my budget and she laughed but still went through options and pricing and told me she mainly caters to wealthy subarbs in Bay Area (I am in Sacramento - aka cow town which coincidentally, she is in next neighborhood down from me).  Today instead of sending me quote she told me she could not even do BM boquets for the $1500 and she was declining my business.

My other girlfriends getting married this year referred me to a florist for $1K total for all BM's, bride, alter, and centerpeices on some.  I guess I just am shocked and maybe just a little tipsy on too much wine, truth be told.  Why don't vendors just talk to you on phone instead of having to leave work early only to find out you wasted both their time.  This woman doesn't even have freaking website. 

Re: Rejected by Florist

• SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Florists annoy me because they never really give you a general quote over email or phone. One florist told me she had a $3K minimum, which is odd for NC.

Since you're only wanting roses, why don't you order through costco or fiftyflowers? You will probably save over $1K.
  • edited December 2011
    You will find someone else. 
    Can you really blame her for wanting to keep the date open to make more money.  She has to make a living too.  without a shop her profit spots are limited. 
    I get it...
    Look for a florist that keeps a shop and has a staff to offset labor. 
  • edited December 2011
    We spent less than $1500 ($1200) on ours and we used roses, orchids, and lillies, but we were in the middle of nowhere literally.  I would think being anywhere near San Fran would be more expensive.  It was very rude of her to laugh, though.  I would think you could do something for $1500 it just might not be what you want.  
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG! That's so rude! I didn't know florists had minimums? (especially 3grand!) That's one of the things that annoys me with planning. If a co is on the expensive side, they should be somewhat clear about that. When we go to places we can't afford because they won't tell us a price range that's just going to waste time for 2 people.

I'm sure you can find a place that is much more reasonable and accomadating.
  • jlta9761jlta9761 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is so sad! i think if you get referrals from wedding professionals you are working with, or in your area, you can weed out the unprofessionals that have no idea what they are doing, especially for being responsible for such an important element to your wedding day! flowers are important and add so much to your photos! you should be able to find a "real" florist to provide your flowers within your budget~ keep moving!
  • edited December 2011
    Find out if the local community college teaches floral design.  Talk to their instructor and see if they are willing to take on your wedding as a collective class project for the budget you are offering.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards