Flowers
Options

flower shopping

So I just started thinking about flowers for the wedding, and I'm wondering, how many places did you visit before you decided on a florist? Is it worth shopping around for better prices?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: flower shopping

• Options
    alivesoonalivesoon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have not yet decided and i have looked at a lot of places. I think that if you are trying o save money, look for the better deal is essential.look around and make sure you have exploited all your options before making the purchase and that you are 10% sure this iss wat you want! this is your day !!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have met with 3 different florists, and at first felt it had been a waste of my time as the prices were all the same, until I reread the notes the gave me. Each florist was going to charge $15/CP for my carnation centerpieces.  However, one florist was going to only use 6 carnations for that price, one was going to use 12 and another was going to use 15.  The price wasn't any different, but obviously the final product is going to be entirely different depending on who I choose to contract with.  That is just the shortest difference in product and service, but there are many other differences as to what each shop would do for the price.DEFINITELY shop around!
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The florists made it easy for me. I couldn't visit in person (I planned across country) so I emailed. They were fine getting back to me when I told them what I was going to need but as soon as I told them my budget I would never hear from them again (I also got married in a town where there were only a hand full of florists). My photographer actually ended up suggesting someone once he heard what I was going through. She was amazing and actually came in under budget!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did shop around. I went to about three to at least see what might work within our budget. Plus it was nice to see what you can get from each that may not be included from one florist to another.
  • Options
    DanielleSCMDanielleSCM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shop around! I went to three.1. I loved, but she NEVER sent me an estimate. She kept disppearing for weeks at a time, then writing back and apologizing. So clearly, not a good choice.2. I didn't really click with the florist and thought they were a little overpriced.3. Liked the florist and she had good ideas. But her estimate was almost THREE TIMES what #2's was, and using cheaper flowers. I ended up going with #2, then went to a bridal show where I absolutely fell in love with a floral designer who was young and probably would have been inexpensive. I'm still kicking myself for not shopping around more.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I checked with 2 places. I got mine at a local grocery store than many people recommended. It wasn't a beautiful grocery store but my flowers were cheap, beautiful and exactly what i wanted.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Flowers aren't going to be a big to do at our wedding so I'm content with ordering them online - fiftyflowers or something like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't shop around at all, I let my FMIL do that for me, she really wanted to be part of the wedding, so it made it so easy. I really wasn't too interested in flowers, but if you are definitely shop around and consider doing wholesale!
  • Options
    Septwedding09Septwedding09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shop around for price, but consider referrals from friends/family. Then you can be rest assured they are reliable and the flowers are quality. Plus, two vendors gave me 10% off for being referred!
  • Options
    JenniferG47JenniferG47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you check out other places than traditional florists. I'm actually getting my flowers from (a large wholesale store) Costco! I wanted all roses, which were getting really expensive when I looked at the florists in my area. Costco does amazing bouquets, they had some on display, at a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    cwilliams01sccwilliams01sc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shop around, but just remember, you get what you pay for. When my brother was getting married, my future sister-in-law got really cheap and used a friend-of-a-friend who was a florist. The day of the wedding, she brought in the flowers and half of them were wilted and looked like they had weeds coming out of them. I've never seen such horrible arrangements. Again, you get what you pay for!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Shop around, but not only for price.  As a PP mentioned, make sure you ask how many blooms, size of the flowers, etc.  Also, in my case, we are getting married in a small town, which I found out as far as floral design is kinda stuck in the 90's.  It was important to me that the florist "get" the look I was going for- that we click on a personality level.  The one I went with is the only one who actually took the time to put together mock ups of what I was asking for, and didn't just assume that I want the same thing every other bride in town has asked for. 
  • Options
    RTrepanierRTrepanier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi-  I had a process when looking for a florist because I didn't really know what I could get for my budget.  After e-mailing several (20+) vendors in my area after a bridal show, I immediatly took those off that didn't reply within a week, as well as those that were above my target budget guidelines.  I got some who just didn't answer the way I wanted.  I can give you my questionare if you want, e-mail me at beccajt920 at hotmail dot com.From there, I asked more probing questions (additional charges, pieces per arrangement, types of flowers suggested, etc.). From there I was able to narrow it down to three to meet with.   All of whom worked out of their homes (no rental fees included in arrangements), and one who only charged for labor and wholesale costs.  I ended up going with her because our personalities matched the best.  She is a stellar communicator and had really good referrals.  The other ladies seemed to know what they were talking about, but did not show me anything spectacular.  One lady even had only computer printouts of samples and no real flowers to talk with.  The other lady had tons of flowers, but nothing written down, it was fairly disorganized.Depending on what you want, I would say just look around and have a general idea of what you need (centerpieces, bouts, corsages, bouquets etc.).  They should be able to give you a rough estimate based on the season and your flower preferance if not an exact quote.
  • Options
    shortkakeshortkake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definetly shop around! I wwent to 3 places and gave the all the same list f what I wanted and for how many tables etc.. and the first one I waent ot quoted me a price that was $800 more than the last one I went to.  Also, you have to go with who you feel comfortable with and not someone who's going to push you into things you don't want or need.  
  • Options
    shortkakeshortkake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *went to
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we used a friend of my husband's.  otherwise, i would have shopped around.
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely shopped around for flowers. I think since the final product is so individualized that it's impossible to duplicate one floral arrangement. That being said, I visited 4 florists before I found "the one". I ended up booked with a florist that works out of her home. Her prices were unbeatable b/c she didn't have the overhead costs that other florist shops do. I really lucked out b/c our florist taught floral design at the local college here and she's certified. I would check with your local board to get some good recs on florists in your area.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    RTrepanierRTrepanier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi---I've gotten a few requests for the questions and e-mail that I sent out to florists for a pre-interview/consultation.  Here is what I asked first: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hi, I think we met at/through (insert bridal show, or referral here) My wedding is (insert date), I am wondering if you have that date available? If so, I am wondering if you have ever worked with a (insert color) wedding, or at (insert church) or the (insert reception venue).  These are important aspects to my wedding, that will surely play into floral design for the big day!  Any applicable samples/pictures that you can provide of those colors/locations would be appreciated.  Do you offer any off wedding season discounts? (Not sure if this applies to you or not, be sure to ask for discounts, even if you don't think that they apply!)   Please let me know your thoughts.  Also, please send any preliminary pricing that you have available (including delivery, labor per hour cost etc.). Some details of the floral details I am looking for are (add or delete based on what applies to your wedding, if you know flower types, insert any detail you can, it will allow them to give you a more precise quote): Cost on average of Bridal bouquet # bridesmaids Groom # groomsmen # mom's # dad's # ushers # personal attendants # hosts # god-parents # grand-parents etc. cake topper memorial bouquet flower girl ring bearer Bearing in mind the above details, I will select my finalists to meet with and go through the consulting process.  I don't think it is a wise use of time to set up such meetings if budgeting does not allow so please include any costs associated with the above plan.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I think by asking those questions, you should be able to get down to 1-3 to meet with.  After the meeting evaluate how your personalities match (creativity, attention to detail, professionalism).  Be sure to bring someone with you, so you can write down all of the details. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't shop around at all, there is a woman that works out of her home with a team of people and does amazing work. I had seen her work at 3 weddings that I had attended and loved it. I know from those girls how much they shopped around on pricing and the quote was awesome. Can't wait to see it in action and so thankful for the referral and time saver!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mizu22mizu22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only went to one place but I knew I wanted to use them since I was little. Yes, I could have saved if I shopped around but I didn't see the need because I knew the quality I would get, loved the girl I worked with and loved the final outcome. It depends on how much money you have to work with, but if you love the first one you look at stop there. You don't want to sacrifice quality for price here.
  • Options
    AMN0324AMN0324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read all the responses so IDK if this has been mentioned but what I did was, I found some centerpieces I liked and then emailed the pictures to a few florists and asked for quotes on what they would cost. Then I had an idea of who was expensive, who was moderate etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I have 2 appointments set up for next Monday so far. I did my friend's wedding 2 years ago. You gave me lots to consider and good questions to ask prospective florists. Thanks again! H
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Always shop around.  And make sure that you like the florist company as a whole- the florist I spoke with at the place I ultimately chose was fired and if I hadn't liked the florist overall and not just the individual, I would have been really upset.  Of course now they're jerking me around, but still.  Make sure you think that they are easy to deal with, because you will have to.  If you find yourself waiting weeks for estimates, they are probably not a good choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom and I went to three different places. 1. The neighborhood flower shop where we've always gotten our flowers from. They do weddings all of the time so they know what questions to ask and how to help. 2. The local grocery store. Their price was $200 more that #1. 3. Another flower shop on the edge of town. The owner was not very professional at all. Although the quote was $200 less than #1, we were not sure what the quality would be. Both 2 and 3 had the same reference books but much different prices. We ended up going with #1. It is the closest to our house (the venue is across the street, the church is down the block, and the florist is around the corner) and we know what to expect from them. Flowers aren't that big of a part of our wedding. We're just getting bouquets, corsages, boutonnières., and an arrangement for the unity candle that will be moved to the bridal table at the reception. Shop around, but go with someone you trust will give you what you need/want.
  • Options
    starbuckchicstarbuckchic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I picked my florist based on online reviews (plug for the theknot!) and email conversations. I asked them to give a general estimate (the key is to say "I will not hold you to this estimate") for 10 tables, 1 bridal bouquet, etc. That way I could get a general idea of how expensive each florist was, and I told them my budget was strict had no wiggle room. One florist quoted above my budget, wth? I was clear about my restrictions bumped them off the list. Just say you won't hold them to the estimate and they will be willing to be more upfront about their cost. Don't forget to factor in service/travel fees and taxes too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I went to 7 or 8 florist. I finally settled with one where I did everything myself and before I sighned anything I checked out Krogers!! I am glad I did!! Cheap, beautiful flowers. I would have NEVER thought to go there but, most def you need to shop around! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards