Flowers
Options

Sticker shock!!!!

So I've just started looking into flowers.  I have an acquaintance that has done some beautiful floristry for weddings.  I sent her some pics of color schemes that I like and explained our guest count (approx. 100 with 4 BMs and 4 GM).  She said she'd be happy to work within our budget, but said that her typical wedding flowers cost between $2500 and $4000.  Eeeek.  Now, I admit that I've balked at the price of EVERYTHING so far in my wedding planning, but I was expecting something along the lines $1000, not $4000!!!!!  

I know that "typical" costs all depend on what you want, but does anyone have any advice on what we could really get for $1000 on flowers?  Our wedding venue is in a nice garden/vineyard setting, so I don't think we need to do too much.  Small centerpieces at all the tables, etc.  Thanks for any advice/support!

Re: Sticker shock!!!!

• Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would you be interested in doing them yourself? It isn't difficult at all; it just takes some time and a little practice. We did our own and were really happy with how things turned out. My BMs and I made all of the ceremony flowers plus about 14 centerpieces the night before. We bought the flowers in bulk from Sams Club for less than $400 (roses and carnations). What we ended up doing would easilt have cost us thousands of dollars and nobody was the wiser! You can watch youtubes that teach you everything you need to know. It was one of the best decisions I made for our wedding.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Grits8812Grits8812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would work on them yourself. get a few of your girls together and just play around with them until you have them how you want. that way you can pick your flowers, and save a ton of money (espically if they are fake)
  • Options
    soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ditto the PPs and say do them yourself! It will save you a ton of money!
    ~May 21,2011~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are nervous about the DIY stuff but like the cost savings, consider doing DIY for just the centerpieces and have a florist do the trickier stuff like bouquets, bouts, and corsages. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

That may be just he average cost but I am sure not every wedding she does is $2500 to $4000.  I  used to work at a florist for 8 years and we would do anywhere from a $500 wedding up to a $6000 wedding.

I suggest you talk with her more about what you are looking for.  To me it sounds like you want pretty basic items and like you said, since your wedding is being held in a garden you really don't need to do a lot.  Also, if after talking with her in more detail and she still quotes you high then go somewhere else and see what another florist will give you for the price you are looking at.

Finally, let the girl know that your budget is $1000...she will be able to tell you what she can do for that price.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest maybe doing the centerpieces yourself.  This would probably save you quite a bit of money.  Also, the type of flowers you choose has a huge impact on price.  If you choose flowers that are in season for your wedding, you will pay a lot less money than if you choose out of season flowers.  Also, the size of your bouquets can play a role in the cost of the flowers.  Like some previous posters said, you can tell the florist your budget and see what they can do for you within your budget.
    Pam & Matt Dating: April 27, 2007 Engaged: February 22, 2011 Wedding: July 14, 2012
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_sticker-shock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:15121c00-d966-4629-a69b-544dd86110e3Post:18309a28-d8ee-4d2e-883b-6166b9ccfba4">Sticker shock!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I've just started looking into flowers.  I have an acquaintance that has done some beautiful floristry for weddings.  I sent her some pics of color schemes that I like and explained our guest count (approx. 100 with 4 BMs and 4 GM).  She said she'd be happy to work within our budget, but said that <strong>her typical wedding flowers cost between $2500 and $4000</strong>.  Eeeek.  Now, I admit that I've balked at the price of EVERYTHING so far in my wedding planning, but I was expecting something along the lines $1000, not $4000!!!!!   I know that "typical" costs all depend on what you want, but does anyone have any advice on what we could really get for $1000 on flowers?  Our wedding venue is in a nice garden/vineyard setting, so I don't think we need to do too much.  Small centerpieces at all the tables, etc.  Thanks for any advice/support!
    Posted by adelaide03[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what her "typical" wedding flowers cost.  Pick some arrangements that you like and then, if they are out of your budget, work with her on what flowers you can use instead to get the same feel and look.

The bouquet I wanted ended up being waaaay out of my price range so my florist worked with me until we found on that I loved and could afford.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you're better off getting them from Sam's club or teleflora/1800flowers. lol
    Flower prices are jacked up!!! like crazy for wedding.
    I'd recommend you asking them for just flower arrangement
    Don't tell them it's for a wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards