Flowers

worried about flowers outdoors in winter

Our wedding is in February and, since we live in Minnesota, it's bound to be fairly cold (historically 10-20 degrees F). I asked my florist if she would advise us against taking our flowers outdoors for some photos and she said it totally depends on the actual temperature that day. Honestly, it makes me really nervous to risk taking flowers outdoors prior to the ceremony - I don't want to walk down the aisle with a black, frozen bouquet!

Should I do faux florals just for our pre-ceremony photos and then switch to real florals for the ceremony (all reception centerpieces will be real). Would the difference between my real and fake bouquet be super obvious in photos? Or, should I just take chance and hope that the temp isn't too cold that day? I'd love to hear what other cold weather brides are doing.
Anniversary

Re: worried about flowers outdoors in winter

• To be clear, are you talking about the bouquets being outdoors, or where you talking about taking the real flowers from your altar/ceremony decor? Just wondering, although my answer is the same.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry. Florists place flowers in refrigerators to keep them fresh. Granted, the temperature is probably about 10 degrees warmer than what you might be subjecting your flowers to, but I'd assume you are talking about only an hour or so in the cold outdoor weather.

It shouldn't make a difference.

• Most flowers can tolerate the cold pretty well for short periods of time. If you are outside and not frostbit yet, the flowers should be okay too. When you start to lose feeling in your fingers, it might be time for you to take them inside

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • They will probably fare better than you if it's that cold... brrrr... stay inside!

Seriously though they won't brown out that fast anyway..it will take a couple of hours even if they do freeze.  Freezing will wilt them quickly but not to the brown point. 

Maybe your florist can do something like a toss bouquet for the outdoor pictures if it looks super cold... That would be my best suggestion. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards