Flowers

ARE ARTIFICAL FLOWERS TACKY???

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted everyones opinion .... went to the florist today to get some average prices and the total came out to 2600.00 !!! Im pretty creative and feel like I could make everything myself but still wondering are artifical flowers tacky as a rule for a wedding???

Re: ARE ARTIFICAL FLOWERS TACKY???

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will get mixed reviews on this subject.  I am not a fan of fake flowers because they usually look fake.  I don't think that's something I'd want in my wedding pictures.  If you get the ones that look real then you'll end up paying just as much, if not more, for them as you would fresh flowers.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Exactly what Jagore said.  I was in a store recently and saw roses that looked real.  I mean, I actually thought they were real.  I looked at the price tag and they were $6.75 a stem.

If your flower quote is too high, I'd work with your florist to have flowers that will still give you the same feel within your budget.  You did give the florist a budget to work within, right?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • paynetrainpaynetrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing my whole wedding for under $800 bucks with true touch florals. They are silk with a latex overlay that make them look and feel real. These are available at Hobby Lobby in an array of colors and styles and they are usually half off during their sale! Check them out before you decide. For this price I made 4 bridesmaid bouquets, my bouquet, 1 toss bouquest, 8 bouts, and 20 centerpieces! Another thing to consider is if you wanted to preserve your bouquet? This is expensive and with these flowers you would not have that added expense. Also is your reception and or wedding at night? By candle light no one is going to know the difference. I am very picky and I struggled with this same thing. I just can not throw away $2600 buck after 5 hours of use because in the end real flowers go in the trash. With these you maybe able to sale later on craigslist or etsy! Just a thought! Congrats and good luck! ~Amy
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe order rea flowers online and then arrange them yourself? That's what I'm thinking of doing. Assuming your centerpieces/other florals aren't too complicated, and you have a few crafty bridesmaids the day before the wedding.
  • mpatt2122mpatt2122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a mixture of real and silk flowers. I'm using silk flowers for my pomanders and real flowers for everything else.
    Anniversary
  • VConnell25VConnell25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you set on a certain type of flower?  I heard that using what is in season is a lot less expensive.  You could also try grocery store florists or ordering on-line diy.

I don't like fake flowers in general, but some people do.  Its up to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • merabithmerabith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_artifical-flowers-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:322965d6-0dfa-45dc-8083-e858e89f3d99Post:17ca64e6-bb3d-4c53-a2ef-27eaad24cf0d">Re: ARE ARTIFICAL FLOWERS TACKY???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing my whole wedding for under $800 bucks with true touch florals. They are silk with a latex overlay that make them look and feel real. These are available at Hobby Lobby in an array of colors and styles and they are usually half off during their sale! Check them out before you decide. For this price I made 4 bridesmaid bouquets, my bouquet, 1 toss bouquest, 8 bouts, and 20 centerpieces! Another thing to consider is if you wanted to preserve your bouquet? This is expensive and with these flowers you would not have that added expense. Also is your reception and or wedding at night? By candle light no one is going to know the difference. I am very picky and I struggled with this same thing. I just can not throw away $2600 buck after 5 hours of use because in the end real flowers go in the trash. With these you maybe able to sale later on craigslist or etsy! Just a thought! Congrats and good luck! ~Amy
    Posted by paynetrain[/QUOTE]

I was just curious as to what flowers you used in your bouquets.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards