Flowers
Options

Standard percentage of wedding budget for flowers

I recall hearing there's some sort of formula for this. Anyone know the standard percentage of wedding budget that's typically devoted to flowers? Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Standard percentage of wedding budget for flowers

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can check wedding planning websites for "formulas", but it boils down to the fact that each category in your budget is negotiable, depending on how important it is to you.  I think roughly 10% is a good starting point, but that depends on if you will be DIY or using a florist.

To me, flowers can be a minor expense of $200-300 if you're on a tight budget or they hold very little importance to you, or you can spend thousands of dollars on a showy production.  If you are doing floral centerpieces, altar arrangements, pew decorations, or any other floral decoration, it can double or triple your floral costs, on top of the wedding party flowers.

Generally, the catering, venue, photography, DJ/band, and attire are the biggest expenses, and things like flowers, cake, centerpieces are a practial way to save or be flexible on your flowers.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most budget calculators tell you to budget 10% of your overall budget for flowers.  I came in around 8% for mine--but flowers were very important to me and I was willing to spend a considerable amount on them.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Like PP said, it is usually around 10% of your overall wedding budget.  But you do not need to stick to this percentage.  You should spend only what you can afford/want to on flowers...there really isn't a required amount.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    8 to 15 % in normal.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on what you want.  I had minimal flowers because I was married in a courtyard garden; the florist wound up with 2.47% of my wedding budget.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I wouldn't work off of a formula.  How important are wedding flowers for you? I say write yourself a 'dream' floral list and 'dream' pics, take this to a florist (3 florists).  They will be happy to provide with a quote for free! Go from there... set a realistic budget based on the price which they quoted .... say they quote 2,000 for all of your dream flowers... you were only thinking 500.  Pick your favorite flower shop out of the three.  Return with the original quote.  Tell them you have set a budget for 500.00 What can they do?? You will be very surprised.  I am a floral designer and this is what I recommend to all of my Brides.  A florist can access the situation (are these flowers really needed? Where is your wedding taking place? You're asking for too much... or not enough.This is our job!! We are here to give you great ideas!!)
      Rest assured once you find the right florist, whatever your budget may be they will work with you!  Best Wishes and Good Luck!  If I can help you - let me know!! Kari
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards