Flowers
Options

DIY Flower Info

Has anybody ordered flowers from Sam's or Costco? I was wondering what the quality was like. It just makes me nervous because I wouldn't even get to see them until 2 days before the wedding! I was guessing that I would have to put the centerpieces together, but what about the bouquets? I don't think I have the skill for that lol. Any tips?

Re: DIY Flower Info

• Options
    soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours from Sam's Club. They arrived on time and they were in great condition. You will have to prep the flowers, so take that into consideration. We had to let our lilies open up over night and de-thorn the roses. But over all the flowers were awesome and I would recommend Sam's Club based on the experience that I had.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. Did you have to put the bouquets together or did they come assembled?
  • Options
    soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We put them together ourselves but I think you can order them put together already, but they are more expensive that way. It all depends oh how much time you have and what you are looking for.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered pre-bundled centerpieces from fiftyflowers.com  I was really happy with the quality. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered the 20 piece white rose wedding package from Costco for $399.00. They allow you to change your order if you need fewer centerpieces and want more bouquets, etc. They were LOVELY and lasted over 2 weeks!

Also, our Costco has a flower kiosk where you can buy lovely bouquets for about $17. I asked at the customer service desk and they have an actual florist who does the arranging. They gave me her phone number. I called her and ordered for pickup, 3 days before the wedding, 9 dozen white vendela roses, 70 stems of white asiatic lillies and 2 huge bunches of baby's breath for $177. When I picked them up I was able to see them in person, they were fabulous! She handed them over in buckets that I kept in the basement so they could bloom more, after adding the floral food. I thought I had an exclusive "in" for a floral source. She told me when I picked these up that she does about 18 weddings a week! I don't know if Sam's has the same type of set-up for local stores.

Below is the rose centerpiece, with baby's breath. I used green floral foam inserted in the silver vases I got from a local florist going out of business for $5 each.

This is the centerpiece I made with the Asiatic Lillies (it came with the long grasses) and baby's breath. I purchased "jelly balls" from www.lacrafts.com. Each bag was enough for a 9" tall cylinder vase, they had the cheapest price I could find.

I made all 10 of the centerpieces the morning before the wedding, then put them in the basement to stay cool.

I had a lot of the lillies left over, I overbought. But the thing about lillies is that they open upward.......... the bottom flowers open first, then they open up along the stem. You have to have them at least 3 days before the wedding for that to occur.

Good luck!
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We DIYd from Sams. We bought roses, carnations, and gyp in bulk. They arrived on time 2 days before the wedding. My mom and I immediately took them out, removed the leaves, cut the bottoms, and set them to condition. One day before the wedding my BMs and I made all of the bouquets, bouts, and centerpieces. It took an evening, maybe 3 or 4 hours with all of us working. So yes, it does take some time, but look at the money you'd save!

The flowers were alll in really good condition. We only had about 3 dead heads, which was awesome. The carnations were a little dry and some of them would break off as we worked, but we had so many that it didn't matter a whole lot. It is to be expected that they would be a little dry after being shipped all the way from S America.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just an idea (i'm in the same boat, duno if i want to assembly my bouqets or even if i want silk flowers or real ones, AGHHHH! :)  ) if  you buy the flowers you can take them to a florist and most will arrange them for you, you'd just have to pay for that. but it's much cheaper than having the florist do it AND ordering the flowers from them (in most cases anyway)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards