Flowers

Roses in February...Geesh!

Hello everyone-
I am getting married February 11th and want to use roses for my flowers.  Unfortunately, every florist I've talked to has told me roses will be expensive at that time due to the Valentines Day mark-up.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my wedding roses at a good cost?  I'd be willing to order them early, if they would last until the wedding day.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Roses in February...Geesh!

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I used to work for a florist and rose prices go up astronomically around Valentine's Day.  I doubt that ordering them in a week early will help with the price and they also wouldn't look as nice after a week as well.  I am afraid there is really no way around the prices...since they are in such a demand prices will be up wherever you look.  Did you ever consider using another type of flower?  You should really speak with your florist about your budget and what the overall look you want for your wedding.  She should be able to suggest certain flowers that will be just as lovely as roses.

• NicnJen01NicnJen01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure we were actually in the opposite predicament we were a february wedding until talked out of it.  Wisconsin+February=Harshest Snow Month, they shut down my work 2x last Feb. 

Did you try online?  Perhaps if you order now they're not so bad?  Or have you looked at silk arrangements, roses are so popular they always seem to look so nice and real these days, if you know someone that can do it or if you can DIY.... Maybe that would work.
  • jsmall12jsmall12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  • edited December 2011
    You could check out on-line vendors.  I was happy with fiftyflowers.com and flowersandfreshness.com  I think their prices remain the same, but you might not be able to get red.  I don't remember for sure, you can call and talk to someone, they were very helpful. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Can't get round it.. but you might not be hit as hare if you don't use red, pink or white...I would suggest splurging on your bouquet and using tulips for everything else... 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_roses-februarygeesh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:4a806d1e-cada-4e02-afc9-6ed3db13bcddPost:58b6b4b5-ff55-4136-b14c-6430ac35b947">Re: Roses in February...Geesh!</a>:
    [QUOTE]DOES NOT MATTER WHEN YOU ORDER THEM THEY WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE. EVEN IF YOU PHYSICALLY GOT THE ROSES 2 WEEKS AHEAD OF TIME PRICES ARE HIGHER A FEW WEEKS BEFORE VALENTINES DAY.  ALL FLOWERS BE WILL MORE EXPENSIVE DURING THIS TIME, NOT JUST ROSES. AS FAR AS FLOWERS GO, YOU PICKED THE WORST TIME OF YEAR.  I WOULD BE VERY CONCERNED ABOUT HIRING A FLORIST TO DO YOUR WEDDING DURING THEIR BUSIEST TIME OF YEAR. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST HOLIDAYS FOR A FLORIST AND THEY START GETTING BUSY AROUND 2/1. SERIOUSLY. ORDERING EARLY WILL BE MEANINGLESS AND ALMOST CERTAINLY WON'T SAVE YOU ANYTHING.  IF YOU THINK A FLORIST IS GOING TO GIVE YOU A CHEAPER PRICE BECAUSE YOU ORDER EARLY YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN.  EVEN IF YOU ORDER FROM SAMS CLUB OR ANOTHER WHOLESALER OR GROWER AND GET A DECENT PRICE, DON'T COUNT ON GETTING DECENT QUALITY.
    Posted by callalily07[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I. Kind. Of. Read. This. Like. This.</div><div>
    </div><div>As far as OP, I would look for another type of flower (maybe even silks?) or see about changing the date =/

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if you ever considered making your own flowers, but I am getting married in February as well and I am considering going to Costco for their red and white bulk roses at least for centerpieces. You can get 100 stems for $79.99. Just a thought, you can check it out at http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11500651&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much smith3br.  Those roses look beautiful, and they get pretty good reviews.  Any idea if the prices increase astronomically in February?  And yes, I am considering doing my own flowers.  I'm just a little nervous about it. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    I feel the same way. It makes me a little nervous...
    I have not heard that they go up, afterall I don't know too many men who buy their roses by the 100 but I could certainly be wrong. The reviews are good and so I feel pretty comfortable going with them and saving the money on flowers. I'll let you know if I see anything else or find that the price increases.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! Smile
  • riklar1993riklar1993 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with someone who suggested Costco- around Valentines day you can preorder and select the perfect roses and the prices are way less than florists!
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is what I would do .

• jalafajalafa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live near you and I'm useing Pink & Chocolate Florist..they are on the Knot vendors.  I've been working w/her and I'm getting married the day before you! There was no mark up on my roses..she has a rose package.  Look her up-her name it Kat. If you cant find it let me know and I will send you her#.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jalafa thanks so much.  I will be looking into this.  Are they in Conroe?  And I would greatly appreciate the number.  Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards