Flowers
Options

Fresh Flower Pomander - drying out?

For anyone that has had fresh flower pomanders -

How long can the flowers keep before they begin looking wilted/dried out.  Do they need to be misted/watered to keep the blooms hydrated?

I'm having the most difficult time finding nice-looking silk flowers to make pomanders for my flower girls to carry (wanted to make them in advance).  I think at this point I may have to resort to using fresh flowers. 

We are doing the flowers ourselves, and I'm curious if anyone can tell me how well they hold up if made the day before, if you're using oasis as the pomander core, and what needs to be done to keep them looking fresh!

Thanks!!!!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Fresh Flower Pomander - drying out?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Soak the oasis so the flowers get water through the stems, keep the finished pomanders in the fridge, and mist them every now and then. Like any fresh flowers though, shouldn't be putting them together until the day before at most anyway.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Check into specific floral supplies for pomander balls.  They  make oasis in net covered balls. 

http://www.weddingflowersandreceptionideas.com/pomander-balls.html

Soak the oasis thoroughly in water, with floral preservative in the water.  Let it soak naturally until the foam sinks, don't try to "force" the water in. Put in a little greenery, and then the flowers.  Keep the finished product in a cool place, and re-wet the foam with a spray bottle as needed. 

Fresh flowers usually stay fresh in the foam several days, depending on what kind flowers.  If you keep it in a refrigerator, make sure there are no fresh fruits of veggies in the same fridge, or it can wilt the flowers or turn them brown. 

• Options
    efujanefujan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, both of you!!!  Great info.  I've been so nervous about doing fresh flower pomanders for the FG's because I haven't found a single silk green button mum that doesn't look like the petals were cut with safety scissors!

I'm much more at ease doing them with fresh flowers now that I've read this.

Only thing I need to worry about now is whether the 5 and 3 year old FGs are going to try throwing the balls at each other!  They're sisters, so I should probably just expect it!  Laughing
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always make the flower girl pomanders out of silk flowers, and hot glue the flowers into the foam.  That way if they throw them, they'll hold up better. 

But sometimes the kids will suprise you, and behave like perfectly adorable little ladies.  (well, it could happen, lol!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards