Flowers

Hydrangeas turning color?

I went to my florist today to see a mock centerpiece and the bright green hydrangea I anticipated seeing was more of an ivory/light pale green.  I asked the florist about it and she said it is because of the time of year and that come August they will have turned bright green. 

Does anyone have any experience with hydrangeas?
Should I trust that they're going to turn? 

Re: Hydrangeas turning color?

• mwsrmr0422mwsrmr0422 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have done alot of research on hydrangea I really wanted purple ones but of course they are rare....I know that the color of the hydrangea has to do with the  PH in the soil...and hats why the color isnt as dark green like you want it...I dont think it has to do with the time of year....unless the ph in the soil changes during the year....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've also heard you can change the colors of your hydrangeas by stuff you put in the soil.  But that is if you are growing them.

For fresh cut flowers the florists get from growers, I have no idea.  I think you should ask around about other sources (or other florists). 

But I have seen plenty of green hydrangeas, but rarely see bright green ones.  They are usually more of a subtle green, or the muted green and pink/mauve "rustic" green.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think hydrangeas turn a deeper color later in the year.  Your florist is probably planning to spray them, frankly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards