Flowers

How Much do Centerpieces Usually Cost?

...or how much should you spend on them? Below I've posted a picture of what I think I want, something short in a square vase with hydrangeas and maybe peonies and calla lilies. Any ideas?

Re: How Much do Centerpieces Usually Cost?

• edited December 2011
    It depends. I know, not the answer you wanted. But what size, exactly what type of vase and what season can affect how much. Peonies can be very expensive if you're not in season and they are pretty pricy even in season. If I were you I would shop around at florists in your area and see who has the best price.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    It depends on what you're looking at, there's really no telling until you get a quote from a florist.

As awesome as hydrangeas are, I would highly recommend against them.  They die insanely fast so there's a certain likelihood that they'll be brownish or in the process of dying at your reception.
  • edited December 2011
    May for calla lilies, hydrangea, peonies, and beargrass in a 4x4x4 vase would be around $50. The peonies and hydrangea are bigger so you wouldn't need to use as many stems. You could also cut the callas and save a little money. The $50 price is in my area: Upstate. Are you coastal, midlands or upstate? if your upstate I can recommend a few places.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Well Hydrangeas are now a year round flower my florist told me. I bought my mason jars $3/each and then the florist is charging me $8/piece for daisies and hydrangeas, So $11/centerpiece.

A friend of mine is going all out and hers is about $120/centerpiece.

Cala Lilies are one of the expensive flowers, so watch out for those. If you went to Michaels with their 50% coupons a few times you could probably find the square vases yourself which may save your money in teh long run teh florist will not have to purchase them and charge you more than if you found them in say Michaels or Walmart. Just a money saving idea
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    what you are showing in the picture would run in the $50-70 range. It has compact flowers and even though it looks small there is a lot in it. Don't want to spend that much? use lower cost flower in the same white colors. Centerpieces don't have to use the exact same flowers that you have in your bokay.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had something very similar with roses, lillies and hydrangea and they were $65 each. But florist prices vary greatly, even in the same area.  I think my vases were 6x6. I had no problem with my hydrangea and even the next day at brunch, the flowers looked great. 

• twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have vintage mason jars that cost between $1-4 each.  We will have 3 jars of different sizes (quart, pint, jelly jar) with a fresh boquet in the large, one large bloom in the middle, and a votive in the small.  We are using all local flowers (including peonies which will be in season and grown 30 minutes from my house!) so they will be much cheaper.  Total for the mason jars and flowers I'm looking at $12-14 a centerpiece, but we plan on selling the mason jars afterwards.  The cost of the flowers is only $8-10!!

Go local if you can and don't mind only using in season flowers!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Depends on the area and florist. By the looks of your centerpiece idea, for my area it probably would have been about $50-$65
    Anniversary
  • Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting something very similar to the pic you posted, except mine will be several (3) small square vases (4x4x4 I think), and the price is $110 per set of 3 ($110 per table). 

To the person who said hydrangeas die super fast....not true!  They can last several weeks with a continual water supply.  If you remove them from water at some point, yes, they will die quickly.  Otherwise, they are longlasting and work great to fill up space in arrangements.  They're beautiful, too!  :) 
  • edited December 2011
    I just bought hydrangias from trader joes last week to see how long they lasted.  They were white ones & I kept them in a vase with water & they lasted about 4 days before they started to get a little brown on the edges.

My centerpieces will be a small square vase like in your picture with one green hydrangia, and a second square vase that's a little taller wth another single green hydrangia.  For that, I'm being charged $15 each table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I recently got married and had every other table done with 6"x6" vases with roses and hydrangeas.  And the cost was about $70 per centerpiece for those.  Here's a picture of mine.
    Photobucket OMG...I'm MARRIED! :)
  • edited December 2011
    See if your florist has the vases already that you can rent or use for free. Also, my florist recommended David Austin Roses as a cheaper alternative to peonies- they have a similar look to the peonies, but at a cheaper price.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_much-centerpieces-usually-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:b2730ecc-3a64-4804-afdf-667dc4ddcca7Post:585518c8-aabf-4371-99f0-238b727c15ee">Re: How Much do Centerpieces Usually Cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I have vintage mason jars that cost between $1-4 each. </strong> <strong>We will have 3 jars of different sizes (quart, pint, jelly jar)</strong> with a fresh boquet in the large, one large bloom in the middle, and a votive in the small.  We are using all local flowers (including peonies which will be in season and grown 30 minutes from my house!) so they will be much cheaper.  Total for the mason jars and flowers I'm looking at $12-14 a centerpiece, but we plan on selling the mason jars afterwards.  The cost of the flowers is only $8-10!! Go local if you can and don't mind only using in season flowers!
    Posted by twixinthemix[/QUOTE]

Me too! Gotta love mason jars.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards