Flowers

I took the plunge DIY!

I just bought 200 roses (dark orange and white) for my wedding.  We are going to do the boquets ourself the day before the wedding.   They were 200 dollars. And so the worse that could happen is that I have ugly flowers.
I'm excited.

Re: I took the plunge DIY!

• edited December 2011
    I think I will end up doing the same!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What parts are you DIYing? 

The bouquets were easy.  Take three roses wrap stems with wire.  Put another ring of roses around those, wrap with wire.  Do one more ring of roses, wrap with wire.  Now wrap wire with ribbon and secure with pearl-head pins.  Leave stems long, place in bucket of water.  Cut stems just before you put on your dress for the ceremony.  Viola! 

Make sure that you prepare the roses properly.  When they come you should cut the stems underwater and store in a bucket in a cool place until you are ready.  (The web-site I ordered from had dirrections on how to do this). 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_took-plunge-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:cf380325-80ff-4b7e-a652-07ef74b04a40Post:d2838042-fed7-4dbe-ad28-56cf8e08abd7">Re: I took the plunge DIY!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What parts are you DIYing?  The bouquets were easy.  Take three roses wrap stems with wire.  Put another ring of roses around those, wrap with wire.  Do one more ring of roses, wrap with wire.  Now wrap wire with ribbon and secure with pearl-head pins.  Leave stems long, place in bucket of water.  Cut stems just before you put on your dress for the ceremony.  Viola!  Make sure that you prepare the roses properly.  When they come you should cut the stems underwater and store in a bucket in a cool place until you are ready.  (The web-site I ordered from had dirrections on how to do this). 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

I probably wouldn't use wire.  Wire if wrapped too tightly could damage the stems and slowly kill the flowers.  I would use floral tape which you could buy at any local craft store.  Also, unless you have small hands, you could bunch all the roses together and then wrap with the floral tape.  the trick with floral tape is that you have to pull on it and then wrap, otherwise it won't stick to itself.

Also you don't have to cut the flowers under water.  I worked at a florist for 8 years and we would cut/snap off the thorns and then use a floral knife to cut the stems at a sharp angle and then place them immediately into cool water.  Also, keep in mind that some roses come in rather tight so a day in a warmer location (not crazy hot) would help the roses open nicely.

• edited December 2011
    All these tips were very helpful! Thanks!
  • KatandDan12KatandDan12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to see your finished products! I too am heavily considering DIYing my flowers. I just think it would be so fun and don't want to pay more than $500 for my flowers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards