Flowers

What kind of flower costs and mark-ups are typical

In short, I got a quote from a florist that came out higher than I was thinking it would. The bill was itemized per item with the cost of labor/skill just included (ie, bouquet = $XXX). What kind of mark up is usually included for flowers? Is that something I can ask about? Cost of flowers, supplies VS cost of labor. Just trying to get a feel for what is typical and to be expected.

Re: What kind of flower costs and mark-ups are typical

• I may be wrong but I don't think comparing the cost of flowers wholesale versus the florist is a fair comparison.  Instead, I would get other quotes from other florists in your area and compare those quotes to hers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_over-priced-can-i-ask-about-for-labor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:d5ba855c-658d-4a2f-9b12-035548530289Post:e6ea35b3-3d82-4b7c-b382-1da4fb6eaed8">Re: Over priced? Can I ask about $ for labor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I may be wrong but I don't think comparing the cost of flowers wholesale versus the florist is a fair comparison.  Instead, I would get other quotes from other florists in your area and compare those quotes to hers.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I agree. A florist whether working from home or not, is going to charge you at least 3x the actual cost of flowers. That's how they make their money. I don't think she's going to break it down like that for you. I agree with PP...just get quotes from different florists and know they will charge you way more than the cost of flowers. It's the nature of the beast. Either that or DIY.

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Okay, yeah, DUH!  That's a great alternative.. to get comparable quotes from other florists. 

I just had such a sticker shock getting the quote, that I immediately switched gears to thinking DIY but that's such a major undertaking so close to the wedding. Just hate the idea of spending so much on something so temporary like flower arrangements. Just have to bite the bullet and shop around a little.
  • because it IS a big undertaking with lots of risks for the florist factored in.....AND you assumed because this person was going to "cut" you a deal ..you are shocked?    I have always promoted....."you get what you pay for". this person is not tryoing to cheat you...just make a living    JMO
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_over-priced-can-i-ask-about-for-labor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:d5ba855c-658d-4a2f-9b12-035548530289Post:2847707e-1829-469a-a2d8-dfd9f8eb3733">Re: Over priced? Can I ask about $ for labor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]because it IS a big undertaking with lots of risks for the florist factored in.....AND you assumed because this person was going to "cut" you a deal ..you are shocked?    I have always promoted....."you get what you pay for". this person is not tryoing to cheat you...just make a living    JMO
    Posted by flower_diva[/QUOTE]

Oh I know she isn't trying to cheat me... she's a family friend. I just didn't know what to expect as an upcharge for labor, etc. for a florist becuase />>2X expenses (esp. for a person without a shop) seemed high for a few days of labor. Even allowing for 40+ hours of labor it would be more per hour than the photographers. But if that's just typical, fine. But that's what I'm looking to find out.

I know tone is hard to pick up online, but your post makes it seem like you think I'm being a b****. But I feel like I'm allowed to/should assess where my money is going.
  • On the other hand, I don't think 2x the cost of flowers is necessarily high. Compare the cost of a dinner prepared at home to the cost of the same dinner at a restaurant. It is probably way more than 2x the cost of the food.
  • You are paying not only for her time, but also for her talent.  And are you figuring in the cost of the vases?  Oasis and floral tape?  There's a lot more that goes into a bouquet or a centerpiece than just sticking in a bunch of flowers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_over-priced-can-i-ask-about-for-labor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:d5ba855c-658d-4a2f-9b12-035548530289Post:317f44e8-2bee-4a04-887f-f257837d9807">Re: Over priced? Can I ask about $ for labor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over priced? Can I ask about $ for labor? : Oh I know she isn't trying to cheat me... she's a family friend. I just didn't know what to expect as an upcharge for labor, etc. for a florist becuase /> />2X expenses (esp. for a person without a shop) seemed high for a few days of labor. Even allowing for 40+ hours of labor it would be more per hour than the photographers. But if that's just typical, fine. But that's what I'm looking to find out. I know tone is hard to pick up online, but your post makes it seem like you think I'm being a b****. But I feel like I'm allowed to/should assess where my money is going.
    Posted by RMcDougle[/QUOTE]
    Lets just put it this way....would you go to a restaurant and ask how much they paid for the steak that they are going to serve you....No......it really is none of your business what this girl charges for her labor. As I see it you are upset because you thought it was going to cost less than she quoted you. That does not give you the right to question how much or why she charged you what she did in the quote. If you are not happy with the quote go to someone else. simple as that......
  • Cool down fellow posters!  I don't think the bride meant to imply the florist was trying to cheat her.  As a flower grower and event florist I get this response quite a bit.  I don't take offense, just explain that there are a lot of hidden costs to wedding flowers. Supplies and labor are only a fraction of the cost to the florist.  Wedding consults, planning and ordering take lots of time.  This is time the florist isn't using to make floral arrangements for other customers. Experience and artistry are also big considerations.  To cut costs on wedding flowers you might consider making your own simple centerpieces and asking the florist to make the personal flowers. You should be able to find local flower growers in your area.  Many growers sell flowers in bulk at reasonable prices.  Just remember if you want a local flower grower to design the arrangements the prices will be comparable to a florist.  You can find a list of local flower growers at www.ascfg.org  The Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers is an Internationl association of professionals and includes lots of event florists.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards