Flowers
Options

DIY centerpices, floating flowers ?

Whats the best way you know how to do this? I want to use calla lillies, and I'm thinking I can just do them myself. 

I wanted to use these vases: 

and have them 2 vases at a table in the centerpieces first off, going in a pattern, like the tallest & shorterest, middle & tallest, and middle & lowest. It allows me to have enough for 18 tables, which is plenty, and I should have some extra to put on the head table as well. I also want to add some smaller votive candles around them either 2-3 candles per table.  

I want to use calla lillies, does/has anyone used them before? do they last awhile? should i test them first hand? 

Our colours are black, red, and white. We are having white linens, red napkins, alternating bows on the chairs of red and black, and a black runner down the middle. I'm thinking of putting either a square or round mirror underneath them, and in the bottom of the vases using those red stones and putting a submersible led light to light up the stones. 

is it easy enough to get a calla lilly to stay in the vase ? any tips are greatly appreciated, i had found a picture last night, but after looking at so many, i forgot to save it :( 

also, best site to get the flowers from in bulk?? I'm thinking 2 calla lillies per vase :) or one if you think that could work. 

Re: DIY centerpices, floating flowers ?

• Options
    Regular calla liliies are pretty large so I would say you will only need one per vase.  If you get mini calla lilies you could easily do two per vase.

As for making them stay, I would go to your local craft store and buy metal frogs (they are small metal rounds that have many needle like ends sticking up).  These frogs will allow you to shove the end of the calla lily stem onto it and keep it in place.  I do suggest that you glue or use green gum tape (also can find in craft stores) the frog to the bottom of the vase.

IMO, I would forgo the led light because the votives surrounding the centerpieces will light up the stones enough.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In reading your post, here is what I think you are saying (correct me if I'm wrong)

The vases you want to order total 36 in the bunch. You have 18 tables, and want to put 2 of each vase on the table, with red stones in the bottom, and a submersible LED under the stones, with a couple of votives around each pair of vases? Have I got that right?

The vases on your amazon link have openings bigger than  3 inches across (it says they can accomodate 3 inch floating candles). Calla lillies tend to droop, meaning that if you put 2 in there, they are going to droop in opposite directions or the same direction. You may need more than 2.

Do you have a Costco membership? They have the best prices for calla lillies. Not sure where in the Detroit area you are, but I purchased bulk flowers from Costco by getting the phone number of the florist (from the customer service desk) who arranges these for the kiosk at the Roseville Michigan store (nearest to me). I called her and placed an order directly with her, and picked up my flowers in person. This was a big relief, because you see the flowers before paying for them and can weed out any that may be too droopy or broken. When I picked up my flowers last August, she told me she does this for about 18 weddings a week in the summer! I arranged to pick them up 3 days before the wedding to give them time to open up.

I just checked their website and 75 calla lillies are $99. The "in person" Costco florist will charge what the website does, and you can order in different amounts if you want more or less than what the website has as "set amounts". If you go this route, I'd recommend bumping your order about 10% to cover any that may have damage.

I would also recommend getting the "jelly balls" instead of the stones.......they come in different colors, or clear, are see through and would actually filter the light instead of how the stones would handle it. The best price I found for the jelly balls (which I used for my tall cylinders) was at www.lacrafts.com.

Send me a PM if you want more info.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    thanks you guys ! i'll definitely look into it. all of your tips really help. i'll make a longer post later, i have to go to work now though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards