Flowers
Options

Need help figuring out flowers! Lake theme!

Hey ladies,

My wedding will be July 23, 2011 and I am in dire need of help figuring out flowers. My FI proposed on the lake at our summer home so I want the colors to be 'lake themed.' I am going to have my girls in royal blue tea length dresses. I want their flowers to be purple or a deep blue and white, and my MOH will have greenery mixed in. My bouquet will be a combo of those colors. I don't know what flowers I want. I love orchids, lillies and hydrangeas but don't know how they will look in deep blue/purple or how expensive they'll be. I've heard suggestions of iris, stargazer lillies or  dutch iris but am unsure of what will look best for their bouquets and boutonnieres.

I need help! Suggestions are so welcome!

ETA: I also just saw "Laura & Laney'"s wedding here on TheKnot and really like the idea of green orchid bouquets. Gahh I might never decide :(

Re: Need help figuring out flowers! Lake theme!

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Deep blues, greens, and purples sound very nice a "lake like". 

But it's hard to find deep blue flowers, so you might have to go with a different shade of blue, or stick with purple and green flowers.  A pop of bright green orchids (or other green flowers) would look really great against the blue of the dresses and deep purple flowers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Catwoman makes good points. I'll also add that...

You noted that expense was a factor. Bigger blooms like Hydrangea will make the bouquet look fuller so that you won't have to purchase as many stems. Hydrangeas are available in a deeper purple or lighter blue. Also, irises came to mind when I first read your post. Even if you know you are DIY flowers, meet with a florist. They will give you flower ideas and they know all the flower names and seasons.

Here are some examples to start from:

Anniversary
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with the above. dark blues are a hard colour to find in a variety of flowers. Maybe a complimentary colour would work nicely.
    I thought i'd add... When i read the post title "lake theme" I immediately thought of water lilys and cat tails. they wouldn't be the best option for boquets but could look nice as part of a centerpiece
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards