Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Amazing Grace?

My soon to be Mother-in-Law has only one request that Amazing Grace be played at mine and my fiancee's wedding. Is this appropriate? I asked the wedding planner and he said he's seen it twice. If it's ok, what part during the ceremony could I have it played? Thanks :)

Re: Amazing Grace?

• edited December 2011
    Amazing Grace is a beautiful song musically.  I would stick to only have the musicians playing it and not sung.  What about having the mother's walk into this?  Or maybe just have it played prior to everyone walking into.

Talk to your musician about different randitions of this song for something different.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto.  Stick with an instrumental version.  I would use it either in the prelude (before the processionals) or during the MIL's processional.

I don't think it's "inappropriate", especially if your MIL really really wants it, it's probably worthwhile to appease her.  If you do it before your processional you probably won't hear it anyways!
  • tay&josh11tay&josh11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both so much. You both have the same idea I was looking for; to play during the mothers walking in. Thanks for your ideas! I appreciate it :D
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a church organist.  I have several arrangements of Amazing Grace, and could easily tailor it to play for the mom's entrance at the ceremony.  That's exactly what I would have suggested if a bride had that question in a music consultation.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards