Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

The song we want for our first dance isn't exactly traditional...

My FI and I went to Vegas last year and while watching the Bellagio fountains one evening, the song "Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye)" came on and we both got chills. It's available both completely in Italian, and in a version with both Italian and English. It's really beautiful and we consider it "our song" but, as my mom brought up, hearing "Time to Say Goodbye" isn't exactly what people are looking to hear when the night is just getting started. I will say though that if you listen to the whole song, it's all about love and how we are saying goodbye to the times when we weren't together. My mom had a good point that a lot of people like to really listen to the lyrics and be emotionally "moved" when watching the couple during their first dance (at least that's how we are at weddings) and in the Italian/English version, the only English lyrics you hear are the "goodbye" part and it will seem funny. I have no desire to do "At Last" or any of those other songs that seemingly EVERYONE does, as pretty as those songs are. Thoughts?? Thanks!

Re: The song we want for our first dance isn't exactly traditional...

• Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think if you & FI have a special connection with that song then use it! I tried to find it to listen to it but I couldn't find it! IMO people listen to the words but I don't think they are questioning every one..also Italian music sounds beautiful!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go for it! My dad and I are dancing to a Serbian song since both of my parents are from Yugoslavia! Couldn't find a regular song that I liked.
    ME:44 MH:42 DE IVF 2013
    image Matrix image Ollie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should use the song you love. I never walked away from a wedding commenting on the first song much. It's a connection between the two of you. Also, I answered your post about the halo for your ring and wanted to see if you wanted to see photos of mine. I don't have it on my bio but you can email me noelledentist at hotmail dot com.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good news!  Con Te Partiro does not mean "time to say goodbye".  It means "With you, I will go" This is one of my favorite songs, I think it's a great choice.  In college, part of the final exam of my first Italian course was to sing this song.  I've (attempted) to post a link to a a site I found on Google with the lyrics and English translation.http://www.lyrics007.com/Nana%20Mouskouri%20Lyrics/Con%20Te%20Partiro%20Lyrics.htmlGood luck with everything, I think this is a great selection and it definitely does not mean time to say goodbye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards