Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Asking Mom to sing during the ceremony?

I was thinking of asking my Mom to sing "Ave Maria" during the ceremony in the church. I'm concerened that it may be too much pressure for her, as I want her to enoy the day as much as possible. Also, when do singers that are part of the family warm-up their vocals for these types of preformances?

I'm looking for any opinions/advice on this.

Thanks!

Re: Asking Mom to sing during the ceremony?

• Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your mom and see how she feels before you make any decisions. If she's for it, she could warm up just before the ceremony like any other singer would.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely talk to your Mom. I think the pressure is one thing, but considering the fact that she is the MOB, she may just want to sit back and enjoy her daughter's wedding. If she is singing, she may not be able to do that or at least not the entire ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sing in a quaret and have been with Sweet Adelines in choruses and quartets since my daughter was four.  She grew up with it.  At my daughter's wedding, we sang a song during the reception that my daughter requested.  The ceremony would have been too much...but the reception was a fun time!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    GeauxTigers17GeauxTigers17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't do it - let her just enjoy being mother of the bride. 
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family is also full of musicians but I will be hiring people for the ceremony.  I don't want my family to have to be stressed about preparing, warming up (yes, they will need to do that if singing, 20-60 minutes before performance time), and my brother specifically said he will likely be crying the whole service and wouldn't make it through a song.  I don't want to put them through the stress so won't be asking them to perform.  However, if your mom volunteers and is totally comfortable with doing it and wants to do it, then I wouldn't stop her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to ask my FSIL to sing before the ceremony starts, but having family sing during the ceremony may be a bit hard on them if they are prone to crying/just want to sit back and enjoy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a professional singer, and I work in a church.  I sing at weddings and funerals all the time.  All the time.  I even sang at my own mom's memorial service~certainly an emotionally charged time.

Having said that, there isn't any way on earth that I could have, or would have wanted to sing at our DD and SIL's wedding, or our son and DIL's wedding.  I was completely happy being MOB/MOG on those days.

They were very emotional days for me, and I think I could not have done my best and that would have upset me.  Besides, I just wanted to be "the mom".

I'd say to let go of this idea, but only you know your mom and how she'd respond.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards