Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Choosing a DJ

How do you know that you're picking the right DJ? The photographer seemed so easy because you can see pictures of their work, but how do you compare DJs? This is one of the final pieces that I need to set for the wedding and I feel totally lost! 

Re: Choosing a DJ

• Options
    edited May 2012
    We went with ours due to a very good friend's referral. She and I are extremely alike and we knew we would like him.  We did, we loved our dj!!

Other than personal experience with one, I would think you'd need to rely on reviews to narrow down your search and then how well you liked him/her when you meet them.

On a side note, I thought I was getting a good photographer based on her web page photos.... but didn't.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_choosing-a-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:34419c99-1f72-4f61-ac38-ebee0ddd88eaPost:711329e6-6021-4bd4-a757-1583c945b9bf">Re: Choosing a DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went with ours due to a very good friend's referral. She and I are extremely alike and we knew we would like him.  We did, we loved our dj!! Other than personal experience with one, I would think you'd need to rely on reviews to narrow down your search and then how well you liked him/her when you meet them. On a side note, I thought I was getting a good photographer based on her web page photos.... but didn't.
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree, Go with reviews and Djs recommened by The Knot. Call for pricing and look more for "average pricing". Never go with the cheapest.  "you get what you pay for"</div><div>
    </div><div>Christopher Abell</div><div>Premier Entertainment St Louis DJ</div><div><a href="http://www.apremierdj.com" rel="nofollow">www.apremierdj.com</a></div>
  • Options
    aro1589aro1589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    ask around.  ask friends and family who were recently married who they used.  ask a lot of questions when you talk to a DJ.  How long have they DJed/how many weddings have they done? Are they going to be involved (making announcements, getting people out on the dance floor, etc) or are they simply going to sit silent and play music.  Do they have "real" equipment or just a laptop.  Backup equipment?  Also remember, you get what you pay for.  Cheap ain't nice, and nice ain't cheap (usually, that is!).  If a price is super low, the quality probably is too. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ClewanClewan member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My fiance used to be a dj, so he knew the questions to ask and what to look for.  Specifically, he said that it is important to be able to see the equipment in action.  When going through a relatively large company (as we did), you may not be able to see the actual dj in action.  However, we were able to view the equipment, sound, lighting, etc. for as long as we wanted so that we could actually hear the music in person and see the lights, etc. rather than relying on pictures or videos.  Additionally, we spent time meeting each and every single dj at the company so that we could make sure our personalities meshed well.  The last thing you want on your wedding day is a dj who does not seem to want to get to know you or your interests.  Getting to know your dj is essential! 

It is important to remember that most of the time, the people who really want to write reviews are the ones that hated the company and they need someone (or something) to complain to.  Therefore, reviews are great, but I would not necessarily take each review to heart.  Spending time with the company and the dj while utilizing the opportunity to see the equipment in action are good guidelines to follow.  Reputable companies can be found on this website as well.  Do not judge a dj or dj company based upon price only, because that does not always tell you about their customer service and their ability to do a fantastic job.  We used Admit One DJs in Illinois because of their willingness to open up their company, dj availability, etc. to us without hiding a single thing. 

Good luck to you while you search!  Remember- do not go for the first company that you see.  Spend time looking around!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_choosing-a-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:34419c99-1f72-4f61-ac38-ebee0ddd88eaPost:0b512daf-c0ce-41ac-a380-e5d4d6fac9ea">Re: Choosing a DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Choosing a DJ : I agree, Go with reviews and Djs recommened by The Knot. Call for pricing and look more for "average pricing". Never go with the cheapest.  "you get what you pay for" Christopher Abell Premier Entertainment St Louis DJ <a href="http://www.apremierdj.com" rel="nofollow">www.apremierdj.com</a>
    Posted by apremier[/QUOTE]

Vendors aren't allowed to advertise themselves on message boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards