Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Things to remember

Once you find the DJ or DJ company you are happy with, these are a few tips to make the night be fun for everyone, including yourselves.

1) Have one point person for your DJ. Whether that is you, your new spouse, a family member, it doesn't matter. When it comes to the dance and any garter/bouquet tosses and changes, tell the DJ directly. Don't have some random person or groomsmen change things.
2) Don't lock the DJ into a playlist of songs the bridal party likes. Always let the DJ take requests. Playlists tend to push those who don't like the music off to the bar (or they leave early). Even the Top-40 version of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" isn't danceable.
3) Just because you don't like group dances (electric slide, cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle) doesn't mean your guests don't either. Keep an open mind. But keep in mind, you don't have to dance to everything the DJ plays but you want people to stay out there to have fun.
4) Tipping: I have advised friends to implement a sliding scale and tip based on how it went, but at least let the DJ leave with $10-$20 (if you don't include them in dinner, this can get them something from the late night Wendy's drive thru). I suggest starting an envelope with $200 in $20s and slice off as you determine appropriate. The better your DJ does, the more likely you don't take money away.

Re: Things to remember

• If my DJ played a DNP song I would be livid. I don't care how many people requested it, that would not be okay with me. Those songs are put there for a reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_things-to-remember?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:5fdd3d3a-0531-43c0-86a6-6d94d637c5caPost:3a622623-4461-4311-bf8c-aaf4656a3335">Re: Things to remember</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vendors aren't allowed to post on the message board.  I know that you're not trying to advertise specifically, but it is still against the TOS and could get you banned.  Just wanted to warn you.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This.  OP, please review the TOS:
    <a href="http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/the-knot-terms-of-use.aspx">http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/the-knot-terms-of-use.aspx</a>

You are welcome to post here as a bride-to-be planning a wedding.  You should keep it to yourself that you are a DJ to avoid being banned as a vendor.  I have edited your post accordingly, to keep your advice intact without referencing the fact that you yourself are a DJ.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Thanks for your advice. It will be helpful for my friends wedding party。
  • Good advice!! Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards