Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Opinion on John Mayer's Daughters?

I'm having trouble picking a father/daughter song and I was thinking about Daughters by John Mayer.  I guess my question is:  Is that song too pointed?  I have a very "civil" relationship with my dad, so bad that my step mom called me and asked if my dad was going to walk me down the isle or not.  But I also don't want to choose a song that makes him feel bad or singled out.  Does that make any sense?  Thanks for your opinions.

Re: Opinion on John Mayer's Daughters?

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't do it.  My dad and I had a strained relationship for a long time and this song always reminds me of it. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He's a guy, so maybe he won't even pay attention to the lyrics, but if you think some people will and you don't have your heart set on the song, it might be best to avoid the drama.
  • edited December 2011
    i dont have a relationship w/ my father either and thought of this song as well.  but i decided the wedding wasnt really the time to focus on that.  that song makes me a little teary eyed when i hear it.  i think i'm just going to go w/ a generic song like "you are so beautiful" or "the way you look tonight" or something....since we dont have any songs that are special to us. 
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I just don't like the song in general.  When it talks about daughters turning into lovers it is just weird for a dance with your dad.

Ditto PP about going with a classic like You are so beautiful.
  • mm133123mm133123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with emarston, very creepy, and  I also think the song is so cheesy.  How about "What a wonderful world"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    just playing devil's advocate here: if you've been in the situation that the song talks about...it has a lot of meaning.  the first time i heard it, it really hit home for me, so personally i dont think its a "cheesy" song at all.  its actually really sad if you listen to the words.  thats the reason i think its not really a good time to dance to that one.  you're wedding s/b about joy & happiness....ya know?  just my 2 cents!
  • Penwater1Penwater1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it might come off with the wrong message. Especially to those who know about your strained relationship with your father. If there is any doubt I wouldn't do it. There are so many father/daughter dance songs you should be able to find a more suitable one that doesn't make you second guess. Here is a list of a few that I goggled.
  • edited December 2011
    I think for those people that know about the relationship between you and your dad, this song will make them feel awkward. And even though men are dense, I'd imagine he'd notice and be hurt by it. I agree with PP's, go with something generic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards