Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Processional .. is this too sad?

FI and I have found a beautiful song that we think would make a great processional, however, I'm really rather concerned that it will be too sad. The song is "In Loving Memory" by Phil Coulter.  Here's a link to it on YouTube: http://youtu.be/Oa6eIcc2q9s

For FI, it has great memories, as it was the favorite song of someone he was very close to before she passed away and is one of his favorite instrumental songs. I'm worried though that the people who knew his friend (her son and his partner are invited) will find it sad. I had never heard it before he brought it up but when I listened to it I thought it was absolutely beautiful and I could see myself walking down the aisle to it, regardless of the fact it is called "In Loving Memory." I don't intend to list the music on our programs (I want our recessional to be a surprise) so I'm not really worried about the song's title.

But again, my worry is the fact it will bring up the memory of someone who is no longer with us. Is this a reasonable concern? What's everyone else's opinion?

As a side note, our recessional will be "Old Irish Blessing" - http://youtu.be/Ti3EWCbtZGk - which will play after the officiant reads it as a poem. This song was sung at my high school graduation so it will have lots of meaning to myself and my high school friends that will be present.
Photobucket
Anniversary
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Processional .. is this too sad?

• I think out of absolute respect for her son and partner I'd steer clear of that.  If they associate her with that song it will be like a dagger in the heart for them.  Her absence will be right in their face as it is and this could just send them into a very sad state.  Please ask your FI to reconsider.
  • edited February 2012
    Knowing the two people in question, I'd say they're more likely to take it as an unspoken nod towards someone well loved and much missed than as a "dagger in the heart." They are also the only two people besides my FI that would recognize the song in that context. I'm not saying that this clears up any of the concern, just saying that they aren't the type to go OMG WHY MUST YOU USE THAT SONG?!! and just really make a big deal of it. It'd be more likely to make them smile in rememberance than anything.

She passed before I met my FI so unfortunately I never got to meet someone he still speaks so highly and frequently of. She was an adopted grandmother to him.
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards