Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Do you need a contract from a DJ?

My soon-to-be brother-in-law agreed to pay for our DJ.  He has a friend who DJs on the side, but my fiance and I don't know much about him.  Obviously, we will meet with the guy because we don't want a DJ who will act like it is his stand-up hour during our reception.  But I guess what I need to know is do we need to get a contract from the dj?

Thanks!

Re: Do you need a contract from a DJ?

• I'm non grata

Yes, you need a contract. If your FBIL is paying, you can ask the DJ for the unsigned contract, pass it on to your FBIL, and get it back to the DJ with the deposit after your FBIL signs it. We've done this with most of our vendor contracts, as my parents are paying but don't attend vendor meetings. The vendors never mind. I tell them my parents are better customers anyway (better insurance, deeper pockets).

I can see someone being reluctant to go through a formal contract process with a friend, though. In that case, you have 2 choices:
    1. You can have 0 contract, and you'll have 0 recourse if this friend doesn't show.
    2. You can sign the contract yourselves, but then you'll be on the hook if your FBIL doesn't pay.
  • This sounds potentially messy!  I would thank your FBIL for the offer and tell him that you're most comfortable having the contract in your name (YES, YOU NEED A CONTRACT!!!!!) so if his offer still stands to pay you should have him give you the money that you'll pass along to the DJ when/if you decide to book him AFTER meeting him!

The contract will tell you when they're going to show up, breaks that they need (I've seen DJ's take WAY too many), meals they require, their dress code, etc. etc.  You need to get that in writing otherwise as Elisabeth said you'll have no recourse should they violate the terms of your agreement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards