Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

what do i need to pick songs for

i need to turn in my song choices to my dj soon and im wondering what i need to have music selections for? she will be there for the ceremony and the recpetion as we are doing it all in the same place. should i just pick out the norms sch as first dance, father/daughter dance, mother/son, cake cutting... or do i need to make sure i have addtl songs for the whole night? can i just say during the prelude play slow love songs... during the drinks hour play big band era....and so on... does this make sense? please help if you can. i'm just not sure what exactly i need to do... thanks dfor any help offered! i appreciate it! Laughing

Re: what do i need to pick songs for

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For the ceremony, I would definitely pick any processional songs - for you, WP and parents and a recessional song for your exit.

For the reception, some you might want:  your reception entrance as you're announced, first dance, father/daughter, mother/son, cake cutting, bouquet/garter toss, last song

I think for preludes, cocktail hour and the reception it's okay to generalize.  For the reception I would probably give a few must plays and do not plays and an idea of who some of your favorite artists are to give the DJ some sort of guidance.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a list of "do not play under any circumstances" as well. There will be no chicken dance or Macarena or YMCA at my reception. Ditty Billy Idol even though I love him, because "White Wedding" and "Rebel Yell" are just not appropriate for the situation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From what I've seen you should have:

Song for when the bridal party enters
    Song for you
    Recessional
    Cake Cutting
    Boquet Toss
    Garter Toss
    your first dance with dad and hubby
    first dance for mother and son

I think that's all...
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_need-pick-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:998dbe1e-7fe7-49c5-95b3-b45b0eada505Post:0d81a554-ae20-4f15-976a-abe288ac6def">Re: what do i need to pick songs for</a>:
    [QUOTE]From what I've seen you should have: Song for when the bridal party enters Song for you Recessional Cake Cutting Boquet Toss Garter Toss your first dance with dad and hubby first dance for mother and son I think that's all...
    Posted by Schawna[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

I would make a list of songs that you like from all kinds of selections. I would also make a list of songs you do not want to be played. This will give your DJ an idea of what you like & do not like.

GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're stressed about picking songs, talk to your DJ, or at least the company. They've done this before, and will be able to help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most of this is what I have come up with and some is from a few weddings that I planned this year.

Ceremony:
    seating of the mothers
    WP
    Your song
    Exit song

Reception:
    WP entrence 
    Dinner music(style)?
    First dance
    Father/Daughter dance
    Mother/Son Dance
    WP dance(I'm not a fan of this one)
    Cutting of the cake
    Garter toss
    Bouquet toss
    Last song

FI is in charge off the music, so I just gave him a list of what we need songs for:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards