Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

"our song" isn't a love song... use it anyway??

Our song is Mud on the Tires, by Brad Paisley - neither of us is entirely sure why, but it just is. It's not a love song, but it is kind of about being excited about a new thing and wanting to get started and break it in... which is maybe an OK metaphor for starting a marriage...? But really, out of all the lovely country love songs out there, this one isn't even close.

My question is, how weird would it be to incorporate this into our ceremony? I like the idea because it has a lot of meaning to the two of us. On the other hand, I'm aware that it doesn't really have a romantic meaning to anyone else and as much as the day is supposed to be all about us, our guests matter too (otherwise we'd elope!)
White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: "our song" isn't a love song... use it anyway??

• Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother and SIL combined two songs in their first dance.  They started with a love song, interupted the love song with a funny goofy song that was very them and then finished with the love song.  They used this mashup for their first dance.   According to my brother, it was easy to combine the two songs
  • Bett2012Bett2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's really whatever you want.. i haven't heard it, but the way you describe it, I could totally see it as an entrance song to the reception.... and mayyybe the exit song from the ceremony.  Totally up to you and FI though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jc04100657jc04100657 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_song-isnt-love-song-use-anyway?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:b214a5b1-0f8c-4907-82c0-ca2a8eada208Post:da7562c2-d072-4a4e-ab97-91dd50f6edf0">Re: "our song" isn't a love song... use it anyway??</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's really whatever you want.. i haven't heard it, but the way you describe it, I could totally see it as an entrance song to the reception.... and mayyybe the exit song from the ceremony.  Totally up to you and FI though :)
    Posted by Bett2012[/QUOTE]

I've never heard it either, but i agree to use as an exit song.
    Anniversary

September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Favorite Ceremony Photo
    Photobucket
  • MLincoln17MLincoln17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! Love this song.  Even if you did not use it for your first dance, why don't you use it for the cake cutting song.  Or get announced to it?  Or even have the DJ dedicated to your husband later on in the night and go out and dance again.
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you could totally use that as your recessional when your ceremony is over.
  • edited December 2011
    I say do it! If it has special meaning to you two, that's all that matters. I am dancing with my father to a song that some people may find weird or kind of inappropriate, but it has special meaning to the two of us. Use whatever music you want to!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards