Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Catholic Church Ceremony Songs

Hi Girls

I am having a really difficult time finding ceremony songs that are acceptable in the Catholic church, they are pretty strict at mine.

Can all you brides getting married in a Catholic church tell me what your ceremony songs are?

Thanks for the help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Wedding website soon to come!

Re: Catholic Church Ceremony Songs

• jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    We had a LOT of music in our Catholic ceremony (full Mass).  Here is the rundown:

Processional:  Entrance of the Nobles (Rimsky-Korsakov) and Thaxted (Jupiter from The Planets) (Holst) - brass quintet
    Responsorial Psalm:  Blest are Those Who Love You (Haugen) - cantor/organ
    Celtic Alleluia - cantor/organ
    Unity Candle - Ubi Caritas - organ
    Presentation of the Gifts - Love Divine, All Loves Excelling - soloist/organ
    Mass of Creation - cantor/organ
    Sign of Peace - Let There Be Peace on Earth - soloist/organ
    Communion Meditation - Panis Angelicus (Franck) - soloist/organ
    Flowers to Mary - Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod) - soloist/piano
    Recessional - La Rejouissance (Handel) - brass quintet
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• They should have a list. There are also Catholic hymnals at churches and in larger libraries. Ours is Anglican Catholic. I don't know how strict, actually. The Rector and I have identical taste for church music (except we disagreed on the minor-key fanfare on Sine Nomine played last All Saints').
    Preludes: Standard organ repertoire, but including Bach's In dulci jubilo, Toccata and fugue in d minor, and Toccata and fugue in F Major
    Processional: The Church's One Foundation
    Sermon Hymn: Sing Praise to God Who Spoke Through Men
    Offertory: John Newton's wedding hymn, I can never remember the name, but there's only 1
    Communion hymn: Adoro devote
    Recessional: For All the Saints
    Postlude: Fanfare on Sine Nomine (but not that minor-key one from last All Saints')

all service music will just be the usual Mass setting from Sundays in Ordinary Time
  • You're church's music/choir director or organist probably have a list of suggestions.  Or grab the hymnal one week and start flipping through it.  FI and I started by just making a list of our favorite church songs, now we are in the process of selecting just what we need from our long list.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    As other posters have suggested, your best option is to contact your music ministry and ask them for the information.  Typically, the music needs to be liturgically approved, however, each archdiocese, and each parish within that archdiocese, will have varying degrees of "flexibility".

My daughter also found this website helpful in making some of her selections......
    http://catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/catholic-wedding-music-list.htm
  • Thanks everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding website soon to come!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards