March 2013 Weddings

Hair and Makeup...

Trying to figure out details for the hair and makeup for the wedding for at least my mom, my sister and I. And its kinda stressing me out how expensive it is. 
My salon's up dos start at $65 but we would have to drive there. And my esthetician starts at $75 for them ($120 for me) but there is also a fee for her to come to the hotel.I would trust both of these sources. 
Or there is the option to go with a service that does hair and airbrushed makeup on site and are saying $120 + some travel for my family two... but closer to $300 for me. These people are reviewed very well online but I've never use them before. There is also $125 trial fees at all three of the places.  

Is this crazy? Expected? Should I keep looking or book the ones I know? I know these are Boston prices so maybe I should just suck it up. 
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Hair and Makeup...

• Personally, I think it's insane how much they charge but from my limited research that's not too far off from what it is here too. Hair I expected to be $60+ depending on who I go through but I didn't expect makeup to be $100+! I think I'm going to see if a friend will do the makeup. I'd just do it myself but I'm not that great at makeup. My photographer is actually great at makeup too so I might ask her if she would mind doing it. Haven't decided on my hair yet but I do have some sort of friends that are hairstylists, so I might see what they'd charge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Do you have a Sephora near you?  They will do a complete facial makeup for $50 spent in stores (can be a gift card for later use, or spend on makeup for touch ups) ... 

Everything I looked into was ridiculous because brides will spend the extra money ... I lucked into a lady who doesnt advertise and just gets business based on referrals (most from the knot) ... 50 for me including a trial and eyelashes, 30 for my girls ... BUT that is basically unheard of from my experience with other weddings and in research...

Hair ... call local salons (in the area of the hotel (or is it downtown boston?)) and see what they are willing to do ... updos do typically seem to run 60 or higher ... but I think its totally worth it when you consider that's one of the biggest parts of your look ... at least to me!

Good luck!!
  • CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    The hair is very reasonable, in my experience. Our hair stylist is on location and travel is included up to 50 miles round trip. She charges $60 per person, including the bride. Some hair stylists charge more for just the bride which I think is dumb. My trial will be $50. As far as MUAs go, it looks like you are in Boston so the high prices really don't surprise me. My wedding is in Pittsburgh, which isn't as pricey as Boston, and my trial was $75, day-of is $115, and travel is about $12. That is for on location airbrush makeup, which is pricier than traditional makeup but worth it in my opinion. For Bridesmaids, makeup is $60. I don't think I could have found a better hair stylist and I really wanted both hair and makeup to be on location so I don't stress about the commute time, so this part of our budget was a worthwhile splurge in my opinion. Maybe you can talk to some cosmetology schools in the area? In my experience those girls are very good and will charge much less so they can get the experience. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks Everyone... I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the pros. It's something I'm not very good at myself but I know its important and don't want to screw it up somehow.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_hair-and-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:2a910463-8ea0-4864-9438-78fd10d3f351Post:af3a5191-6721-4e2a-8b7c-bd912fd6fdbb">Re: Hair and Makeup...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Everyone... I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the pros. It's something I'm not very good at myself but I know its important and don't want to screw it up somehow.  
    Posted by Janna2012[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel about it, especially with my hair! I can NOT do makeup or hair at all so I'm leaning toward getting someone for makeup so it looks perfect! I've tried "copying" some looks from Pinterest and I just can't do it right. Maybe I don't have the right stuff? I don't really have the extra money to buy tons of stuff so I might as well have someone do it that already has everything right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards