March 2013 Weddings

Engagement Pictures

Alright all,

FINALLY getting around to engagement pictures (We've only been engaged for ... 14 months).  They are in 2.5 weeks ... eek.  Looking for any advice in terms of clothing, or general suggestions anyone has ... thanks!!!

Excited to get some "official" photos of us ... should  be a good time!!

Re: Engagement Pictures

• We had a blast with ours. My best suggestion is yes, what you wear should be cute, but also really comfotable. I bought a new dress for pictures, but at the last minute changed to one of my standby favorites because it just felt comfortable and I didn't have to adjust. In the end, I'm so glad I did. It made the shoot a lot more pleasant!
    September Siggy Challenge March 2013 Board Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I need to figure out when we can do ours! FI works so much that it's hard to find a day we both have off and that will work with our photographer. Doesn't help that we live like an hour and a half from her. We'll probably do them closer to her to make it easier (she has 2 kids, don't want her to have to find a sitter or have her husband stay home). Just trying to decide when!

I agree with wearing something comfortable. Jeans and a cute top is perfect IMO. Probably what I'll do. I don't know if I want to do more than one outfit or just one. If I do another maybe I'll do a cute dress.. but I hate shopping for dresses, lol. So maybe not..

I know there are some tips floating around Pinterest. From what I've gathered, be careful about patterns because they might be too busy. Black might seem like a good idea but sometimes it's not. So a plain colored top (maybe a little detail but not too much) is usually best. As for shoes, as long as they're comfortable enough that you won't be in pain in your pictures, I think they'll work! I hate wearing heels but I really want to for our photos because I think they'll look good. Hope you won't see the pain in my face! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_engagement-pictures-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:687d8515-ca28-4cfa-85d1-c1011196e2dbPost:6b9b42dc-c581-4f6c-997e-36e0e7ffdbae">Re: Engagement Pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best suggestion is yes, what you wear should be cute, but also really comfotable. I bought a new dress for pictures, but at the last minute changed to one of my standby favorites because it just felt comfortable and I didn't have to adjust. In the end, I'm so glad I did.
    Posted by kayjohnson[/QUOTE]

<div>i got my done forever ago. & i agree with this.. i bought a new dress too but another one i already had just felt more right so i wore that one instead. my wedges were comfy too (until towards the end).</div>
  • I wore 2 different dresses and I wish I had worn one dress and one outfit with jeans & a top. We tried to stick to the idea that if my dress had a pattern then FI wore something solid. We also didn't get too matchy-matchy, with one more casual outfit and one more dressy. Don't be afraid to wear a little bit of a bright color if he wears something plain- I wore an orange short sleeve sweater over a dress and it looked great in contrast with my FI's jeans and light blue shirt.

As far as pictures go- I'm not sure what style your photographer is but ours is more photojournalistic so she gave us very little direction. I think we got caught up thinking we had to pose for things rather than just act natural, like the photographer wasn't even there. She would tell us to "go over there and look cute and kiss and stuff" and we don't naturally do that with someone next to us with a camera... haha so we looked a bit awkward. Just keep that in mind. And also if there are any photos you really like that you've seen online, point them out to your photographer so she/he can take a similiar photo of you and FI.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Caitlyn made some good points. You don't want to be too matchy but don't clash either. If you're not sure if something goes together, lay the outfits out next to each other or try them on and either look in the mirror or take a couple photos of you next to each other.

And I totally agree about pointing pictures out that you like. My photographer and I follow each other on Pinterest and I have a board dedicated to photo ideas. I'm sure she's seen it but just in case I'll send her the link before we do our pictures. Otherwise you can make a list too of certain shots like a save the date shot with the wedding date, a shot of your ring, stuff like that. Also bring any prop type things if you want them (some people do fancy things with props, I don't think we will).

Oh and did we talk about makeup? For makeup, what I've seen suggested is similar to wedding day makeup. You want it to be natural, but a little more enhanced. Try some different things beforehand so you know what to do (this goes for hair too). Or you can splurge and have it done!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • I echo jennipea on the makeup- I had my MUA do my trial the day of my e-pics and it was great because I got some use out of paying for the trial. She used a little darker blush than I would have liked but in the pictures it looks great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much for all the advice, ladies. I appreciate it!!  I attempted shopping but the first store ruined it ... the girl kept bringing me skinny jeans/cords and flowy tops ... I've got some legs on me, and a waist I'd like to acccentuate (not to mention the flowiness adds weight in pics) ... so I left depressed, round 2 tonight ha.

I have been saving engagement pics when I see ones I really like, so thanks for that advice .. the Pinterest board idea is great ... we follow each other, but I havent actually created that board yet ... will be soon =)

GOOD LUCK SHOPPING SLEEPER!! Keep us updated on your findings!!!  Thanks all .. you guys are the best!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards