March 2013 Weddings

mother in law issues....

well me and my fiance are paying for everything ourselves okay well i am paying fo rit all myself and being such a young couple we had talked to his mom about doing the rehearsal dinner at the local bowling alley and she thought it was a great idea at first and now she is getting upset because we wont have it out at her house. and all of us are staying at the hotel that the bowling alley is at for the night before the wedding and we have tried to explain that it will be easier for everyone because they will not have to drive drunk or find a sober cab. and she juts wont listen and when we told her we had finalized everything for it she got uset and kinda shut us both out. i have never been really close with his mom and dont really know how to talk to her about anything for the wedding. but to top things off she has already started to burn bridges with my family that is in the wedding. and i just am trying to figure out how i can talk to her about all of this without having a huge blow up less than 2 months before the wedding.

Re: mother in law issues....

• Aw I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've seen weddings that turn both sides of the families against each other, and it was SO awkward so I know its easier said than done but try to do everything you can to mend things beforehand. I think this is where your FI needs to step in and talk to her, and it that doesn't work, both of you need to sit down with her. Remind her who's wedding it is, and explain your reasoning and tell her you're not changing the plans although you do really appreciate her offering her house for the rehearsal. I would make it like you don't want her to have to go through the stress of having many people at her house, cooking, cleaning, etc. the day before the wedding. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am so sorry this is happening to you. It may be a good idea to lay the charm on thick. Tell your FMIL that you don't want something like this to divide the family, and that is really important that the families unite in celebration of your marriage. I also agree with PP. Tell her that she will have much too much to do that to host a big shindig over at her house, and that you thought this would make her happy. Turn the tables on her, and hopefully she'll back down and behave herself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards