Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

rant

i'm so annoyed! my fiance and i met my dream photographer today and he basically refused to negotiate at all. he STARTS at 3500. i'm mad b/c the main thing i said when i emailed him in the first place was that i loved his work but he was out of my price range and could we negotiate. he was allllll about setting up a meeting with us, so i figured he would at least be a little flexible. but noooo i got my hopes up and left feeling super depressed about money. (we're paying for most of the wedding ourselves and so far all i've managed to do with my college degree is land a bakery job at freaking shop rite!)i just don't know why he would bother with all that when i straight up told him i couldn't afford 3500! has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?i'm getting bummed about photographers cuz all the affordable ones i've seen are just very cliche and unoriginal and i really wanted a classic yet arty approach. does anyone know of anyone like that in the south jersey/philly area who DOESNT cost an arm and a leg? sigh.

Re: rant

• Options
    lorizaloriza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to consider hiring someone cliche and affordable for the posed bridal party type shots (those all look the same no matter who does them).  Then look for someone at a local art school for the candid, photo-journalistic type shots.  Photographers still in college are all about proving themselves, building good work for their portfolio, and catching the 'artsy' shots.  Plus they're cheap!  You'll have the cliche shots as a safety net, and that will free up the student to just look for special moments.  I know it's a lot scarier than going with someone with an amazing, established business, but might be an affordable alternative.
    TTC since 8/2010 DH diagnosed Azoo 1/2012 Vas reconstructive surgery 4/2012 waiting...testing...more waiting...no improvement IVF #1 planned for 1/2013
  • Options
    koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, the photographer has a budget also. :) Camera equipment is really expensive and most good ones bring at least 20-30K in equipment to each wedding. In addition to that, they will take 30+ hours in editing time on the photographers after the wedding. If they offer two photographers then they have to pay that person also. The point is, being a wedding photographer is not cheap.I would ask on your local boards for more specific recommendations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards