Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

E-pic Issues

I want to use my engagement pictures for my save the dates, but my photographer's office manager has told me that there policy is "to turn over all rights and proofs to you after your wedding date and your package is paid if full." I asked if it was possible to get digital copies of just 2 or 3 photos to use for the save the dates. She also told me "We can do your save the date cards or magnets for you if you like ,we have several styles to choose from. If you are interested call me and I can give you more info on our save the date cards."So basically they will not give me copies of the pics until my package is paid in full so I have to get my STD through the photographer or not at all.  They are just trying to prevent me from going elsewhere to get my STDs.  I think this is absolutely wrong/ridiculous and I am extremely angry that I am paying so much for all these pictures and will not even get to use my e-pics until after the wedding. I know it is probably something I should have asked up front, but I didn't even know what STDs were when I booked.I have already put down a $500 deposit on a rather large package which includes a CD of all photos (engagement,bridal,wedding) with rights to the photos.  I know a lot of brides use their engagement pictures to DIY STD's what is your experience with your photographer giving you your e-pics?  Did you have to pay the entire package price in full? Or how did it work?  Maybe I am angry over nothing...I guess I was just expecting to be able to use them.

Re: E-pic Issues

• cleaclea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your photographer is not the only one who can take pictures.  For save-the-dates, they do not need to be pro quality anyway. Have a friend take some, or a family member.  Sometimes you can find a student willing to do a few for their portfolio. That way you'll get your pics for STD and your pro pics later. Every photographer has their own system and it looks like you have to do it their way, but you don't have to buy their STDs.  
  • skannenbergskannenberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. If you are dead set against following the studio's policys on their photos- just have a friend take some snapshots. I have seen a lot of cute ones that are just fun snapshots of the couple.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards