Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Friend Photography Blues

Hi, My fiance and I both come from communities of artists. He was raised in a very creative community, and I went to art school and have many artist friends. In this sense, we were really lucky. We both have professional photographer friends we've known for most of our lives, and whom we're both very close with. He asked his best friend/photographer to photograph the wedding, and I did the same with a friend of mine. They're incredibly talented people with two very different styles and we're really thrilled about it. My friend, S, was super excited to be asked to do it, and to do it as a guest/friend/gift thing. I told her that since she's out of town I don't want her to have many out of pocket expenses, so we'll be paying her airfare, accomodations, lending her a car, and paying for the cost of prints and an album. In addition to this, I'm hoping to get a little spending money together for her on a Visa gift card, so she can enjoy Portland while she's there. I have been trying to keep her in the loop. Although she has plenty of photographic experience, this is one of her first weddings and perhaps she feels some pressure because it is the wedding of a friend? I have sent her a few friendly e-mails talking about what time frame we should buy her tickets for, would she like to be in town for the bachelorette party, is her boyfriend coming (and would he be interested in the bachelor party, my fiance intends to invite him), when would she like to be in touch with the other photographer (she asked about that the first time I spoke with her), etc. However, she's been MIA for the last few weeks. She hasn't returned any of my phone calls or e-mails. I have noticed however, that she's been really active on facebook. I'm worried that all of a sudden she has decided that she wants to charge for the photography but doesn't know how to address the issue, so she's avoiding me. In either case, I don't know what to do. I kind of feel that she is my friend, and already had a vocal agreement, and that we're already paying the full cost of her travel from the East coast to the West coast. I don't know how to contact her again without being too pushy! I don't want to be a "bridezilla" ... the most important thing to me about my wedding is that it be filled with the love and creativity of the people I care the most about. But, on the other hand, it's a little unnerving that she has been so out of contact with me. As much as I LOVE wedding planning, it is stressful, and to juggle everything at once on top of not being able to get in touch with a photographer/friend about any detail is not making me feel great. Any tips on how I can address this situation without damaging my friendship or causing myself (or her) more stress?

Re: Friend Photography Blues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no real advice for your last question, but I have a question myself?Did you sign a contract? If not, she techically owes you nothing... this is why contracts are so important!
  • Options
    ngiguerengiguere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No contract. It never occurred to me that I'd have to have a close friends of 10+ years sign a contract. Ugh! I cannot imagine what is going on in her world right now. It's stressing me out, not just as a "client" but also as her friend. Any tips on the content that should be included in a contract IF I can get ahold of her soon?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards