Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photog questions

Hello! Is it weird to pick a photog that lives 2.5hrs away? My mom doesn't seem too pleased with this idea because of the distance. I love her work, the package price is great, and it includes everything I could possibly want. She went to HS with my MOH, so she's familiar with the area and still has family here. She also advised she would not charge any extra for travel. I will need to meet her, so I'm thinking of asking her to go to lunch next time she comes into town. This way my mom could meet her too. Also, I'm curious if anyone has any unique must take photos in their bios? I have the standard list of pics to take, but I'm looking for some visual ideas. Last question / request.. I've read that you have to tip photogs. My friends MIL (who is a - over my budget wedding photog), said that she's only been tipped twice in six years. She told me that it's absolutely not needed. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks so much! Sorry for the wall of text.
image.
BabyName Ticker

Re: Photog questions

• alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no, as long as they know where to be, get there on time, and you don't mind paying a travel fee if associated with their rate.  people fly photographers across the country, 2.5 hours is nothing.  mine was about 2 hours away.  i am not a fan of "must-take" photos... don't try and copy, make your own day and take your own pictures.  if your MIL owns the biz, then it would be standard for her not to be tipped.  photog. as all vendors most certainly should be tipped for services.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the answers / advice. If all goes well, I think we'll end up with this photog. As for the must takes, I'm really just looking for creative photos to show her what kind of style I like. I agree 100% not to recreate another couples moments. Thanks again! :)
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think the distance matters. What matters is how reliable the person is. If you feel you can trust her, then go with it. Make sure you get a contract even if she is the friend of a friend. Feel free to look at my bio (link in siggy). I have some must takes in the planning section, but you can also look at my sparse married section. :) I didn't tip.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards