Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Is a videographer worth the money?

I have been researching various packages that include photography and videography but I am not too sure whether the videographer is worth the extra cost. I am planning on having the photographer do many many shots throughout the day so would this be enough? People say that the video is great to have to show your kids, etc. and that its just nice to have..but Im not convinced! 
I would love to hear some opinions!!

Re: Is a videographer worth the money?

• bmathews1747bmathews1747 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I guess you need to ask youself this:

Does a picture allow you to hear your vows exchanged between you and your husband?  Is a picture of you holding hands at the altar enough, or do you need more?

Do you want to see that tear rolling down your husbands cheek as he sees you for the first time in your wedding gown?

If those things are important to you than so is a wedding video.

This may help too.  Best of luck!!

http://www.weva.com

click on the brides guide section.
  • edited December 2011
    you could always get a videocamera stand (at walmart) and have a family member with a video camera man it. It wouldnt be as good as a professional but at least it will all be taped & your only out the money u spent on the stand and disk to record on!
    We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love
  • edited December 2011
    For us, to have that day in "real time" was worth every penny. As PP said to hear us exchange vows, to see the expressions of family and friends as the ceremony unfolded, and to see everyone interact at the reception was really priceless. The day passes very quickly and our video captured some moments that both of our photographers didn't.

We did a lot of research of videographers in our area to find a company and a package that suited our needs and our budget. I think if you decide to do it, and do your homework before contracting with a vendor, you will be very glad you did in the end. Best of luck.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the great advice :)
  • edited December 2011
    I have two photographers, I personally think that'll be good enough.
    I'll probably hand off my flip camcorder to a relative for the ceremony, it's the size of a camera so that'll work good. I think both of my aunts will end up bringing their camcorders too. I just don't see how it would be worth spending a lot of money on.
  • edited December 2011
    I vote YES, YES, YES!!! As the bride, I feel like I missed out on so much because I was hidden away before the ceremony. I didn't see anyone walk down the aisle, I barely heard the string quartet, I missed our flower girl drop 1 petal at a time until she reached the end and then dumped out her basket.. After the ceremony, the time went by so fast that everything was a blur and so many people were distracting me that I felt I missed out on all the details. I couldn't wait to see the video so I could see everything I felt like I missed. It was an amazing day but when I watched the video I could see myself having conversations with people and I have no idea what we were even talking about (i.e. I was talking to my DH during our dance and don't even know what about) and I can usually remember conversations word for word. In my opinion having the video is priceless and you may regret it if you decide not to.
  • edited December 2011
    I have the video from my parents weddings. It may not seem worth it to you, but trust me it will be so very worth it to your kids one day.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_videographer-worth-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:17f25d3a-952a-434d-9f49-732ab5422ca4Post:d73e6ce8-a803-4b02-bf0a-8cb89b629a72">Re: Is a videographer worth the money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote YES, YES, YES!!! As the bride, I feel like I missed out on so much because I was hidden away before the ceremony. I didn't see anyone walk down the aisle, I barely heard the string quartet, I missed our flower girl drop 1 petal at a time until she reached the end and then dumped out her basket.. After the ceremony, the time went by so fast that everything was a blur and so many people were distracting me that I felt I missed out on all the details. I couldn't wait to see the video so I could see everything I felt like I missed. It was an amazing day but when I watched the video I could see myself having conversations with people and I have no idea what we were even talking about (i.e. I was talking to my DH during our dance and don't even know what about) and I can usually remember conversations word for word. In my opinion having the video is priceless and you may regret it if you decide not to.
    Posted by rainedrop6[/QUOTE]

I never thought of the fact I will miss everyone else walking down the aisle...I'm sold on that point alone. Thankyou so much!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    You're welcome, you won't regret it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards