Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

make sure you discuss digital rights for photos with photographer before wedding

I recently got my wedding photos only to discover that my photography wants to charge me an extra $1500 for the digital rights.  I just assumed we would get digital rights (as I was under the impression that everything is digital nowadays). It is not explictily in our contract one way or the other. I am writing this post to warn people to make sure you discuss this with your photographer prior to the wedding. I wish someone had warned me.

Re: make sure you discuss digital rights for photos with photographer before wedding

• pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $1500? Ouch! Yeah, that is definitely good advice. One of the reasons I chose the photographer I did is because he's very willing to grant clients full rights to their photos.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • edited December 2011
    that is a bogus way to do business IMO...just photographers who are not doing so good trying to make a buck anyway that they can.
  • sophia7736sophia7736 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes! That sounds outrageous...I hope this is not the norm, as I am currently shopping for a photog...
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_sure-discuss-digital-rights-photos-photographer-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:1ea80449-fa32-4418-bd14-0ccd61495bdaPost:1b5f6a6f-b81b-4702-beff-ae52916fb2f5">Re: make sure you discuss digital rights for photos with photographer before wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yikes! That sounds outrageous...I hope this is not the norm, as I am currently shopping for a photog...
    Posted by sophia7736[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I can assure you, that is not the norm...just make sure to ask on the spot so you get a straight answer from them.

</div>
  • angybanezangybanez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_sure-discuss-digital-rights-photos-photographer-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:1ea80449-fa32-4418-bd14-0ccd61495bdaPost:1b5f6a6f-b81b-4702-beff-ae52916fb2f5">Re: make sure you discuss digital rights for photos with photographer before wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yikes! That sounds outrageous...I hope this is not the norm, as I am currently shopping for a photog...
    Posted by sophia7736[/QUOTE]

WHen speaking with your photographer or any photographer, look at their packages and their customized packages and make sure that the digitals included are high resolution (printable) and not just DVD Proofs. Either are fine, but photographers usually say which one is included in the package way in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards