Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Feeding the photographer

We're hiring a photographer for the ceremony and portraits only, not the whole day. She won't be taking pictures at the reception or afterwards. After the post-ceremony portraits her work is done.

Is it customary to still have a dinner for her at the reception even though she wouldn't otherwise be travelling to the location?

Re: Feeding the photographer

• Angie.LapkovAngie.Lapkov member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many hours is that? Seems very short so i don't think you need to feed them. Our photographer is there for the whole day, but i believe she required a meal for working over 5 hours.
  • edited December 2011
    It should say something in the contract you signed.  Have you checked there?
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    If she won't be at the reception and that is where the food is, I would say don't feed her. I'm sure she isn't interested in driving over to your reception and hanging out for a free meal.

Read your contract. Typically if the photographer is providing full day coverage he will require that he is served a meal but she isn't doing full day coverage.
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, check your contract.

H is a wedding photographer, and he requires a meal if he works 5+ hours...most of the other photographers we are friends with have similar policies.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • AlbireoAlbireo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't signed the contract yet (I know, weird, but she's new to the business and not in demand yet!). But we're hiring her for four hours.
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think, if she's shooting for four hours, you should at least offer her a meal.

If she chooses to decline and just go eat at home, that's fine, but it would be courteous to extend the invitation.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    For this amount of time you are not obligated to have your photographer stay for dinner, unless you plan on inviting the florist, clergy, etc, as well.

They may also interpret your invitation as trying to get her to stay longer to take photos at the reception.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think I've ever misinterpreted an offer of dinner as way of getting some bonus photography time, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If your photographer is not going to be at the reception and you're only hiring them for four hours, I would say food is not expected.  Maybe if they were at the reception site while your guests were eating, but not in your scenario.
  • edited December 2011
    I am a photographer and have a colleague who was once told they were welcome to stay longer for the reception (he was paid to shoot the ceremony and the bridal party). When he did, the bride asked for "quick" shots of dancing, cake-cutting, etc. during that time. She felt that because he accepted a $100/plate dinner, that he should have felt obligated to shoot a "little extra".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards