Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Payment to Photographer Guidelines

My fiance and I mailed a deposit to our wedding photographer a few months ago.  Our wedding is now a few weeks away, in June.  The photographer requested that we meet a couple days before the wedding and said that the remainder of the balance would be do that day, before the wedding.  Is this common protocol?  What happens if she never shows up for the wedding?  Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle this?  

Re: Payment to Photographer Guidelines

• edited December 2011
    Hi...as a wedding photographer I give my clients an option to pay me the week before or the day of their wedding. Most of my clients send me a check a week to two weeks before. I think this is pretty common. Most brides don't want to be worrying about paying their vendors on their wedding day. Did u sign a contract? It should be mentioned there when ur payment is expected. If u feel uncomfortable u can just ask ur photographer to allow u to pay them on ur wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    What was stated in your contract??? If those terms were laid out in the contract and you signed it, then you are bound to oblige those terms.  If you did not have a contract with those terms you could ask the photographer if they could be paid day of the wedding and not day before. Get it put in writing and signed by both parties.

Our photographer needed half down to book him and the balance was due when we went to pick up our proofs. 
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • varkgirlvarkgirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yes, full payment in advance is pretty standard.
    image image PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • edited December 2011
    As long as you signed a contract, the photographer is legally bound to show up at your wedding. A retainer is standard to hold your wedding date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards