Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Considering nixing a professional Videographer....and using flip cams. Help!

Let me start out by saying I hate wedding videographers that interview guests, try and drag them on the dancefloor, prompt the wedding party & B&G to perform, etc.

However, my Mom loves it. She says it's mandatory.

My FI and I have been throwing around the idea of getting 4-6 flip cams and giving them to several individuals to play with, and them mashing the good footage up at the end.

We have a lot of artistic friends, and think this could give us a real, fun, unobtrusive documentary of our wedding.  I am having trouble rationalizing the money spent on videography when I really don't even care for wedding videography in general.

Thoughts?? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Considering nixing a professional Videographer....and using flip cams. Help!

• edited December 2011
    we're not getting a videographer either.  Some people will say it's the wrong decision, but the money was too much.  Instead, we're just asking a cousin's husband (who has no connection to me and my groom really) to record the ceremony for us.  We'll see if we can have 2 people doing that, and maybe splice it together.  I think photos of the reception will be enough.  I like the flip camera idea, if you don't have high expectations and you don't want to spend the money on a pro, why not?  You may get good results, and if you don't, you won't be disappointed.   
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, we decided to do the same thing.  Neither of us have the VHS or know if our parents have one but its not something people sit down to watch.  We are making sure we get the photographer right b/c that is really important and we are giving 4 flip camera's out.  One camera will be for the groomsman and one for the bridesmaids so they can switch off and all enjoy themselves (we have 7 or 8 on each side so they can enjoy themselves as well).  We haven't decided on the other 2 yet but for some reason I think we'll know who to give it to.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards