Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Payment

Does anyone else have an issue with vendors wanting complete playment before your wedding? or am I the only one?

I just can't believe that it is ok that before any services are completed, especially in this economy, it is ok for vendors to ask for complete payment befor a single photo is taken or delivered?

Re: Payment

• photogbride12photogbride12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is standard in the industry. You are paying a vendor to take your date off their calendar and reserve it for you, just like you pay for concert or sports tickets in full waaay in advance for a show that hasn't happened yet. The show or game could be canceled or reschedule and in that case you get your money back, just like if something happens with your photographer. This is important especially for photographers especially in a bad economy because sometimes couples run out of money by their wedding day and then the photographer doesn't get paid. Sure the couple doesn't get their photos but the photographer also worked a wedding for half or none of the payment they'd get if they had booked with someone else who did pay in full. This protects the client and the photographer's business.
  • edited December 2011
    At first I thought this was weird too but since one of my best friends is a pro photographer, she was happy to explain that it is because of last minute cancellations. If, for any reason, the wedding is called off at the last minute she loses out on all that money. She could have booked the date but after a certain point there is no hope that she would be able to book it again. You are protected by the contract but the vendors are only protected from cancellation by receiving the payment in advance.
    Besides, if the vendors don't actually deliver on their product their business will be destroyed anyway by bad reviews/breech of contract/being sued etc.
  • edited December 2011

All of my vendors required a deposit when I first hired them and then full payment by the wedding day.  Since they were all this way, I didn't question it.

PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is standard procedure in the wedding industry. Most vendors require the final payment 2-4 weeks before the wedding date. This is why it is important to use legally professional vendors with solid contracts in place, so that you are not worrying about your vendors no-showing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards