Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Justifying having a videographer

Hey all. I know that I really want a videographer for our wedding but I don't know if my mom understands my wants.  I really want somewhere to capture all the moments I might miss. Like watching my bridesmaid walk down the aisle, my first kiss.  But I do understand they can be pricey and don't always seem worth the money.  

Most of my mom's family won't be coming in from Kansas CIty to Connectcit so I thought this might be great so they can have a copy and see everything.

What were your reasons for having one?  Any suggestion on keeping the cost low?

Re: Justifying having a videographer

• edited December 2011
    A videographer was a non-negotiable "must have" for us.  We wanted to hire a professional to capture not just the moments, but also the vows, the personalized ceremony our officiant wrote, the toasts, our first dance (and all our mess ups!) and so much more that a photo simply can't fully capture.  Some people are photo people.  Others are video people.  DH and I are both.  Here's what I would suggest for keeping costs down:

1.  Figure out what you absolutely want captured.  Ceremony coverage is much cheaper than full day coverage (including bridal prep, reception dancing, etc).

2.  Figure out what output you want.  A straight video of the ceremony?  "Highlight videos" have become increasingly popular, but add a lot onto the cost of videography because they are time & labor intensive to produce.  One camera v. two cameras?  One shooter or two? 

3.  Look for affordable options in your area.  Consider students, or anyone early in their videography business who is willing to cut you a break in exchange for promotional use rights.  We actually posted on Craigslist stating we wanted "5 hours of videography coverage, one highlight video, max of $1000 based on your portfolio" and got about 10 responses.  The guy we picked was normally about $4k but wanted extra work as he was saving for his own wedding.

I definitely wouldn't skip this.  I really don't know anyone that got a videographer that regretted it (of the friends I have -- I'm sure in the broader Knot community there are).  I know a few that didn't get one and did regret it, but there's no going back.  My best friend opted not to have one due to budget constraints, so we shot one for her.  Her husband comments every time I see them how he can't believe they almost missed out on all of those moments.

Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    check out www.loveandyouvideo.com - amazing husband and wife team in nyc. their work is amazingm they are amazing, and their prices are great.
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted a Video so i can see the parts i can't during the ceromony.  like the groom and men walking in, girls walking in, my reaction.....  I hired a college student studying film.  I got a really great deal and did everythign I asked. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Please check out www.asawrightproductions.com. We are based out of Texas but love to do out of state weddings as well. Please take a lookout our films and message us with any questions.
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not in my budget. That's why I'm not having one. That is the only reason.

• gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a videographer wasn't in our budget, but i desperately wanted to have it (even though i know i'll only watch it about 5 times in my life). i like the idea of seeing family and friends that may not be around for much longer, and also to capture all the italian shenanigans that will happen on my day!

Most of the companies put together huge elaborate videos -- which is why they're so expensive.  One of my 3rd cousins is studying film in college, so i'm hiring him (for a lot less!) to shoot whatever he wants, however he wants. I don't care if its fancy or 'home movie'. i just want the memories!

we thought about many ways to do this. hopefully one works for you:
    1. hire a family memeber or friend to 'man' a camera all night
    2. set up a camera in the corner of the room and hope for the best
    3. purchase or rent flip cameras to hand out to your guests. collect at the end of the night
    4. hire a film student or independant filmmaker. sometimes they'll work for cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards