Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Formal Bridal Portraits?

Hi all,

In all my wedding research I keep coming across the term "formal bridal portraits," describing a photo sitting before the wedding day. I understand engagement portraits, wedding-day photos, even trash-the-dress sessions, but what are the formal bridal portaits for? I'm confused - Won't there be enough pictures of me in my dress on the wedding day? Is this session really necessary?

Thanks!
~MC

Re: Formal Bridal Portraits?

• edited December 2011
    I personally don't think it's necessary-your photography should get poses with just you on the wedding day. It seems a little outdated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Number Invited 181image Number Attending 148image Number Declined 23image Number Not Replied 10image RSVP Date July 7 Magic Number:150
  • deeana_deaverdeeana_deaver member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many times my clients ask for a formal bridal portrait when they want a picture for their newspaper announcement. It takes a while for the wedding pictures to be ready and the newspapers need pictures in advance. Also, if you want a portrait of you in your wedding dress at the reception site then it's fun to do the shoot.
    There was once a bride who's mother had a bridal portrait of each of her daughters...it was a tradition for them to have their photo taken that way.
    I hope this helps. I attached a picture of a "at the reception" bridal portrait.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks! This helps a lot, now I understand the purpose. I still don't think I'll do this because I'm on a budget, but now it makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards