Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Meeting with our photographer tomorrow - 2 questions - HELP :)

Hi folks:

I have two "etiquette" questions for my photographer, and I need some help in how to bring these concerns up:

1) Is it customary to reserve a seat at the reception/dinner for your photographer(s)? We were very careful in selecting a photographer (and his assistant) that were in our budget, but if we have to pay for two extra meals, not only does that cut into our budget, but we are already pretty cramped with the seating with our current guest list. Any ideas?

2) Editing/cropping photos once you receive them. My friend recently had a terrible experience where, after making some edits to her engagement photos and posting them on Facebook, the photographer wrote her a nasty email for changing his work. She had only made small changes (cropping parts out that she felt uncomfortable with  - an exposed bra strap for instance), and it ruined the entire experience for her. How do I make sure our photographer doesn't feel the same way? :S

Thanks!!

Re: Meeting with our photographer tomorrow - 2 questions - HELP :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    as a bride and professional wedding photographer i can tell you honestly how we feel as guests at the wedding. we become very close to our couples, so much so they we develop relationships with them and they want us at the wedding and embrace us not only as their photographers but friends as well. so, most the time, we get seated with some ofher friends of theirs who we have met. when we do not have this kind of relationship we either ask that they feed us a full meal at the reception for the night since it is roughly a 14-16 hour work day with little to no meals in-between OR they can give us the cost per plate x2 as a gratuity and let us know in advance so we can bring some protein bars or something. usually, the venue will set up a vendor table so you should talk to them about seating or they can find somewhere to bring their food outside on a bench or something. the one thing you want to be sure of is that you feed your photographers (most of all) at the beginning of the meal service so that way they are camera ready by the time the key tables (couple, parents, siblings). 

you should always inquire with the photographer prior to doing any editing or cropping since it is their work. if the photographer was not mindful to the bra showing he was not doing his/her job properly. your friend should have approached the photographer with some suggestions and they could have been made by the photographer. after all, that is what you pay for, right? the photos should have been ready and presentable from the get-go.

hope this info helps you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG this is SO helpful (and I have to admit, I had not considered the photographer's day as well....if I don't eat every few hours I become one cranky lady, so I certainly can't expect professionals to work a 12-hour day without nourishment as well!)

My main concern is room, so I am hoping I can talk to them up front about making sure they get a good meal and breaks. We have booked a club with a number of different rooms, so I'm sure there is somewhere we can accommodate.

You're right that I should speak to the photographer up front about expectations from them and from me, both in terms of photo editing and suggestions.

Thanks for your perspective - I'm more confident meeting with the photographers now! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    truth is, as a professional, what we appreciate most is honesty. it all comes down to that. if you state even the simplest of things and it is truth that is all that matters. i think that is what keeps us alive and kicking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards