Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

The First-Look / Pre-Ceremony Photos?

Has anyone done this? Our ceremony begins at 6 & reception hall is open to us starting at 7 so we're kind of crunched on time. It would really help out a lot to do all group pictures before hand then just do a couple of my FH & I afterwards. But my mother & MIL don't want us to do it. They want to be able to see my FH's reaction to seeing my AT the ceremony. I've told them they could be there for the first look [including my father, FIL & wedding party]. What does everyone else think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The First-Look / Pre-Ceremony Photos?

• Options
    It makes a lot of practical sense and if you're ok with it I say do it! First look shots seem to be really popular nowadays and I think it's a great idea. But, I'm way too tradtional for all of that though. And since our ceremony and reception are on the same site, I kind of lucked out on time. 45 min is a huge squeeze, but worth it for me to have that "walking down the aisle" moment. 
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, as a MOG and MOB, I find the "first look", to be an incredibly personal and intimate moment between the bride and groom.  I don't think it warrants onlookers. 

Even if you decide to do a "first look", I don't think it necessarily diminishes the look you offer each other at the ceremony. The music, your guests, the "walk" up the aisle, the ceremony itself all add to the emotion and make this a different first look, if that makes any sense.  Your mom and MIL will still have "their" moment.  Honestly, I was trying so hard to keep my own emotions in check that I think I actually glanced away so as not to "lose it" at that time.  I fared better looking at the pictures when they were developed.

It is gracious of you to consider their feelings, but I personally think their wishes are misplaced in this particular instance.  It isn't about them.  

That said, there are a lot of advantages to taking pictures ahead of time.  
  • Options
    In Response to Re:The FirstLook / PreCeremony Photos?:[QUOTE]Honestly, as a MOG and MOB, I find the "first look", to be an incredibly personal and intimate moment between the bride and groom. nbsp;I don't think it warrants onlookers.nbsp;nbsp;Even if you decide to do a "first look", I don't think it necessarily diminishes the look you offer each other at the ceremony. The music, your guests, the "walk" up the aisle, the ceremony itself all add to the emotion and make this a different first look, if that makes any sense. nbsp;Your mom and MIL will still have "their" moment. nbsp;Honestly, I was trying so hard to keep my own emotions in check that I think I actually glanced away so as not to "lose it" at that time. nbsp;I fared better looking at the pictures when they were developed.nbsp;It is gracious of you to consider their feelings, but I personally think their wishes are misplaced in this particular instance. nbsp;It isn't about them. nbsp;That said, there are a lot of advantages to taking pictures ahead of time. nbsp; Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with what you're saying. I too think my FH and I will still have the same emotions as I walk down the aisle even if we do the first look. Our reception hall is about 20 minutes or so away although our ceremony is going to be aroud 20 minutes also it definitely would benefit us a lot to do basically all photos beforehand. Thanks for your opinion! :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did a first look and my heart was still pounding when I walked down the aisle.  As you can see by my siggy, I'm a fan.  ;)

However, that moment is meant for the two of you only.  Too bad MOB/MIL, but that is not their decision to make.  It's your wedding and you are a grown woman--you and your FI get to decide.
  • Options
    The only thing I regret was not having first look shoots. You have the opporunity do it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_the-first-look-pre-ceremony-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:b5128b5b-c264-4862-8300-08e6f3ab9e28Post:73f0543b-dc81-4533-bd3b-a1c9bf4f8736">The First-Look / Pre-Ceremony Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone done this? Our ceremony begins at 6 & reception hall is open to us starting at 7 so we're kind of crunched on time. It would really help out a lot to do all group pictures before hand then just do a couple of my FH & I afterwards. But my mother & MIL don't want us to do it. They want to be able to see my FH's reaction to seeing my AT the ceremony. I've told them they could be there for the first look [including my father, FIL & wedding party]. What does everyone else think?
    Posted by nicoledellen[/QUOTE]

<div>From a photographer's point of view:  The first look is an opportunity for you and your fiance to see each other, privately, for the first time.  It's a very special moment provided you both are into it.  And yes it absolutely should be photographed.  And each couple that has chosen to do the first look with me still  had surprise, smiles and tears on their faces.</div><div>
    </div><div>It seems to help with the jitters and kind of seal the deal, some quiet time before the craziness of the party begins...that private moment when you see each other and realize its now US.  Having a helper there if your photographer doesn't have an assistant will make things smoother.  And yes, yes, yes, when time is tight do the private first look then do all of your formals.  After that your photographer can catch all of the wonderful candid moments!</div>
  • Options
    From a photographer's point of view I TOTALLY recommend a first look to all of my brides. Not everyone decides to do it, but it saves you SO MUCH time and stress in between the wedding and the reception. (No long gaps waiting on the wedding party)
    From a girl's point of view . . . You don't want to upset your mom and MIL, but it is YOUR day. You just have to decide what is more stressful, possibly upsetting them or trying to fit all of your bridal photos in between the ceremony and the party. (;
  • Options
    My husband and I did the first look thing and it was actually a lot of fun. I had my Dad sneak up behind him like it was me he was going to see but SURPRISE! haha it allowed us to get all of the amazing pictures we wanted without feeling rushed and it didn't take away from the emotions while walking down the aisle.

Here's the first look:

and then a picture from the ceremony:

If you wanted to see the video http://vimeo.com/45679154 it might give you a better idea of how it all flowed.

Anyway, I would highly suggest doing a first look! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards