Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

hiring a photographer

In a couple months I am going to get my engagement photos done. There is a girl in my area that is cheap and her stuff looks great (she photographed my friend's baby and the photos are adorable!), except she hasn't done a lot of weddings. That doesn't really bother me, but at the same time I know how different shooting a wedding is compared to family/baby photos.
I was hoping to have a videographer too, depending on the price. Should I get a photographer that does both? Or just go with the cheaper girl and hire a different videographer? What's worked for you ladies?

I have been told numerous times that if you have to splurge on one thing, it should be the photographer. But I want to make sure I get what I pay for, which could bite me in the butt with the cheaper girl...

And I WON'T do this, but I wondered if this happens---- has anyone hired a photographer for EP but had a different photographer for their wedding? Either because of price, lack of work ethic, or their stuff was just awful? Just curious....

Re: hiring a photographer

• atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no set rule that says you must use the same photographer for your E-session and your wedding. It can be a good thing since you will be establishing a relationship with one photographer, but tons of people use different photogs for each. Either out of convenience or because they got a particular deal, scheduling conflicts, or that they just liked two different photogs work equally. 

I would be hesitant to use this inexperienced photog for my wedding; you are correct in that shooting a wedding is completely different from portraits. There are no "do-overs" for a wedding and everything is constantly moving and the lighting is constantly changing... this is where having a photog with wedding experience comes in handy.

I say use this person for your e-pics and then find someone with wedding experience for your actual wedding day. 
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a big believer in hiring an experienced wedding photographer for a wedding--but that is JMO.  You will need to hire a separate videographer no matter what--I have never heard of a photographer that does video (and wouldn't want someone to do both even if they did).

I do know some girls that have had a different E-pic photographer due to date conflicts, being out of state for E-pics, etc.  It is a good way to get to know your photographer before the wedding but it's not absolutely necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    I learned the hard way, hire an experienced wedding photographer!
    Anniversary
  • kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having different photographers for my e-pics and wedding photos because I live in Philadelphia but the wedding is in California.  I do wish we could have used the same person, but I don't think it matters all that much.  Engagement photos were just taken on Sunday--I'm eagerly awaiting getting them back!

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    check us out at www.shootfirstphotos.com

We have very competeive rates and can maybe work with you based on your budget. 

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards