Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

POLL: What’s your wedding photography style?

Photojournalistic wedding photography
Photography designed to "tell a story" or narrate the wedding with candid photographs covering the events of the entire day. 

Traditional wedding photography
Photography based on posed or "set up" shots directed by the photographer usually following a “shot list”. 

Illustrative/Artistic wedding photography
Photography derived from a photographer's creative and compositional skills of placing their subjects in unique settings and backgrounds rather than simply capturing a series of moments. 

A little bit of everything mentioned above!
"If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
Updated Bio
E-mail Me!

Re: POLL: What’s your wedding photography style?

• edited December 2011
    For us it was a little bit of a toss up. DH and I both enjoy the aspects of all three major types of wedding photography. We chose a more traditional photographer from our area who was very open to hearing our ideas and also was able to help guide us with his professional suggestions. We spoke with him frequently and gathered "must take" shot ideas which we shared with him through the planning process. Knowing that he works solo, I asked his permission to obtain a second photog for the day. I contacted local universities to see if any student photographers would be interested in taking on a wedding for experience. I was pleased to find a student who was focusing on photojournalistic and artistic photography composition. He shadowed our main photographer through the entire day, getting some great shots for us and hands on experience from our professional vendor.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing artistic photography. We get along great with our photog and adore her work. She also displays work in galleries and does other kinds of photography, other than weddings.

FI wants me to make sure she does some "normal" shots too, just to make sure we get pictures with our families and whatnot, but I have confidence she'll be able to do that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My photog is a photojournalist by style, but he ends up taking a lot of artistic photojournalism shots (for the vast majority of our shots, everything was completely unstaged).
  • cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live for the artistic photos, and that's most likely how I will pick the photographer.  But the photos do have to follow the action of the wedding.

And I need to have some canned shots.  That's really the best time for us to tackle family photos.  And they make the grandparents happy.
  • edited December 2011
    All photojournalistic & artistic. I will take approximately 8 formal pictures after the ceremony to make our families happy but I will never look at those again. I can't wait to see the candid shots!
  • nikkil709nikkil709 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Christian Stomsvik is my wedding photography style he's so amazing very NY chic n savvy. He's done my wedding and my sisters wedding and all my entertainment photos. I'm willing to share him www.1Lovestudio.com "I do."  LoL
                                                          -Nikki-   

• bfroeschbfroesch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Being a photographer myself, I'm going to have a hard time picking out a photographer I'll leave the picture part of my wedding to! haha.
    Personally, I like the artistic style best. You can't escape from it telling a story or being a traditional wedding picture... Weddings our traditional by themselves ;)

My photography site...

and my facebook one! lol
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corona-CA/Froesch-Photography/9870574693?ref=ts
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not exactly sure what our photographers style is?? Her website is http:/www.catherinefiehn.com What do you think it is, cause people have been asking me actually. I love her style whatever it is.
  • edited December 2011
    "actual wedding"
  • edited December 2011
    I honestly have no idea what our photographers "style" officially is, but she is a family friend who has taken my pictures since I was young up to my senior pictures.  I think I would have been in trouble if I had hired anyone else :)  I love everything that I have seen her do, whether it was for my family or her other wedding albums.  I'm also not very good at describing what I want or really being able to see the big picture, but somehow she can understand what I'm trying to get at, which is important.  
  • ivedonethisb4ivedonethisb4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want it all...I do want a few (and I do mean FEW) posed shots of like the family/wedding party. But I definately want those candids because they tell a story that only candids can. I also want some artistic photos because photography is a hobby of mine and those are always my favorite photos. When I go out with my camera..I'll take pictures of really random stuff...but they are so beautiful and artsy..so I want my wedding pictures to have that artsy flare I love so much too. I haven't hired a photographer yet but I have one in mind...the problem is..MY BUDGET. LOL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards