Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Not sure we should get engagement pics? What are good reasons for them?

Okay, I really want to get e pics, but my fiance hates taking pictures in general and thinks e pics in particular are tacky and overdone. I want a nice pic for our save-the-dates, but I know the pics won't be any good if he's not into it! He also doesn't like public affection, so that might make it hard. Are there good reasons for taking e pics? ("Because I want to" doesn't feel fair!) Or should we just use camera phone pics?

And if we do get e pics, can you give any suggestions on how to make it fun and natural, and not a chore? We are really terrible picture-takers, we just stand there :) Probably why we don't have nice pics already.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Not sure we should get engagement pics? What are good reasons for them?

• edited December 2011
    E-pics are useful for STDs, wedding announcements or just in general when a couple wants a nice photo together. The key is finding a photographer that makes this type of photo session fun, and not just a sitting in a portrait studio. 

What's special to you as a couple? What are your hobbies?  Take pictures in the park, a zoo, a carnival, a coffee shop. I'm sure there's something you can incorporate into the photos that he may enjoy.  Best of luck!

"If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • kpastorkpastor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great way for your photographer to get to know you (and your best sides), and for you to feel more comfortable with them.
  • edited December 2011

You indicated that you both are "terrible picture takers" . . . E-Pics could give you both the opportunity to learn what poses work best and how to feel comfortable taking photos. This will be very helpful on your wedding day, as it will take less time for you to feel comfortable with your photographer, you will have already talked about good poses, etc. This time is generally crucial on wedding day, and you will feel less stressed. If you are taking the pics post-ceremony, pre-reception, time constraints will already feel stressful, if you have already had the experience with the poses and photographer, that will relax you.

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do e-pics, and I don't at all regret it.  We were fine with our photographer the day of the wedding.  For out STD's we had a nice picture of us dressed up from a military ball we went to.  Honestly, I didn't even know people did e-pics until coming on here. 

If you don't want to do e-pics but want a nice pic for STDs of something, what about just asking a friend to take a few pics of you?  Or you could even go to a Wal-Mart photo studio.  A friend of mine did that for hers just to have a nice picture of them and it was super cheap. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ksrawrksrawr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We only did them because it was included plus we wanted to see how they would turn out since we found our own photographer and no one knew about him.  My H hates pics too but he did it for me we did some around the town i went to school and lived in.  They are nice but not necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    We did them because my sister is a photographer and I wanted some nice pictures of us together. I don't think we'll be doing STDs so I'm just going to frame some of them and put them up in the apartment
  • edited December 2011
    Because your husband to be hates getting his picture taken is actually the best reason for this.  He should view it as not something because he's doing it because you want to, but rather because it will give him the chance to get good at it before your wedding day.  That way he will be proud of his wedding day shots, rather than embarrassed.  Have you already booked your photographer for your wedding?  Ideally it should be the same person.  Also, don't put pressure on your husband to be that THESE ARE THE PHOTOS WE ARE USING FOR SAVE THE DATES!  For eons people have sent save the dates without photos on them.  If the shots don't turn out well, you don't have to use them.  Find someone who is willing to be fun.  Look at their engagement portfolios.  Look for someone who their shots don't look cheesy to you.  

Also, you should be able to suggest the location.  It could even be in your own home (although the lighting is probably not the best there, but if it makes your husband to be more comfy, so be it).  That way it doesn't have to be like you two walking in a park making out on a grassy knoll.   You can be a bit more private then.

As someone mentioned earlier it helps determine what your best sides are in advance, and it hopefully will make you both more comfy in front of the camera.  

What I suggest couples do is just try to have fun with it.  Don't think of it as I'm going to get my picture taken, rather I'm gonna spend some quality time with my fiance.  During the shoot you should be talking to each other.  That's how you get genuine looking shots. 

Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    If you have a decent, professional photographer they should be pretty good at helping you look natural in the photos. I would definitely take the photos in a natural environment other than a studio.  The photographer will tell you what to do so that you're not just staring at the camera :)
    Photobucket
  • digiraindigirain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, everyone! We talked about it and we're going to go ahead and get them - we've got an appointment on Friday so we'll see how it goes!
  • hannahhannah1hannahhannah1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LEARN HOW TO WORK WITH YOUR PHOTOG! Anyways, I made a blog about weddings with tips and DOS and DON'TS for future brides. I guess I just can't get enough of this wedding stuff. You should check it out, because I just wrote about Photography. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards