Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Hosting Engagement Party - what would u want?

I'm a former knottie bride (little over 3 years ago :)) and I'm now hosting an engagement party for my BFF. Her parents are not in a financial position to contribute to the cost of a party and she asked me to host one for her - which I don't mind. However, I myself *didn't* have an e-party and I've never been to one. Here are my questions/challenges:1) What's typically expected at the event? We've already decided to host it at their home with a backyard bbq type feel. Are there any formal activities I should prepare for? Toasts? Are gifts expected?2) Do you have any ideas about how I can involve BFF's parents *without* asking them to financially contribute AND without making it a slap in the face that they couldn't afford to do the party?Any other thoughts?TIA :)

Re: Hosting Engagement Party - what would u want?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I have hosted  2 engagement parties 1. Guest list is bride /groom / their parents/siblings/ wp everyones so's. If you can afford bigger whomever you want to invite should be on the wedding guest list too2. how fancy is up to you. I did an evening wine and cheese event for my sister and bil which was supper eazy ( just bought a bunch of inexpensive wines) and sams club cheese and crackers and served my famous spinach dip with a veggie tray and a tray of cookies and everyone was happy.( this was after dinner time) For a friend we did a backyard bbq type event with burgers and hot dogs during dinner time with beer and soda. 3. About the only thing that is always done in my circle is a toast/toasts to the engaged couple. So this may be a great way to include the brides parents you could ask them to do the first toast to the happy couple
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours was a cocktail party at my SIL's house.  Everyone just mingled, ate appies, and drank their drinks.  It was fun. Some of our guests gave gifts...some did not.  Most just gave a bottle of wine or a photo album.
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • Options
    bmbwtfbmbwtf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents are actually hosting our engagement party at the end of August, and its also a bbq and booze party!  I think our goal is to keep it low key but a lot of fun!  We have a pool and some games to be set up, and a full bar.  Our families have never met so we are hoping this will be a low key event for them to get the intros out of the way.  We invited both parties and close family (total about 80 ppl).  When are you looking to host, as ours gets closer, I'll definitely get you some more information about what we are planning!  Good luck
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ask BFF's parents to lead the toast. It doesn't have to be a long speech, just a few general words, but it makes them a memorable part of the event. The only other advice is the standard anyone who gets an invite to the e-party should get a wedding invite later on; good reason that e-parties should be limited to family and close friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards